Pivot Editor: Full Release

I feel like they’re trying to force this onto us no matter how bad we find it. So many people have the legit same opinion about it: It’s useful, but it’s messy.
Adding an option to disable the pivot editor won’t make it useless, as people could just turn it on and use it whenever they need, without it messing the building experience. Also, the fact that they either talk about holding tab(which for me doesnt’ change the problem) or ignore when people say the feature is annoying feels very upsetting, as it makes it look like they don’t really care about our feedbacks.

6 Likes

Can you remove this feature? personally, this is one of the most useless things ever, either remove it or allow a feature to disable it… not very helpful to me at all

7 Likes

I don’t like it because I constantly have to regroup/ reset the pivot on models that otherwise would be fine without the pivot editor

6 Likes

I suppose since they probably won’t listen to us complaining like this I’ll give actual feedback.

Yes, Pivot Editor is a good update. I like it, I could see the functionality, I could see how some people could use this instead of archimedes in their workflow. However, it’s incredibly annoying on current games and on large models, not only do you have to completely redo the pivot origin on models if you want accurate measurements, but it’s impractical.

Adding some sort of shortcut to turn this off, like local and global axis, like someone else said, would be great.

Yes, I’m aware holding tab will create handles, however I develop in increments, meaning holding tab will add lots of z fighting and trigger my ocd a lot by not being perfectly centered.

I haven’t been able to develop the past 2 (I think) days because of this.

Option to disable would be very helpful.

Cheers!
tgarbrecht

5 Likes

Please for the love of god just add some way to disable it so everyone is happy.
It’s a useful feature but it’s interruptive and everyone has the same feedback, just add a way to disable it.

3 Likes

I read above that scaling hasn’t been fully updated to work with pivots, so some of this may be related to that. The posts linked below touch on the issue of models reverting from a “model scaling behavior” to a “part scaling behavior” when there is only one part left in the model and on the potential confusion that results when that one part is oriented differently than the World Pivot Orientation of the model causing the extruding of a side of a part to look like it’s being controlled by the wrong scale handle.

The last video just shows dragging a scale handle with or without ctrl modifier on a model with the pivot not at center. Having scale handles uniformly scale the model toward the opposite side in the direction of the pivot (like it’s doing) seems okay to me. I’d say that’s useful. What’s happening when the ctrl is held doesn’t seem as useful though. There’s way too much position change that happens if the pivot isn’t centered and, consequently, that makes judging where the final placement of the model will be really difficult. Having the whole model scale toward/away from the centroid (rather than the pivot) when ctrl is held might be more useful.

2 Likes

Well done Roblox. You just permanently lost yourself a user of your built-in tools.

EDIT: added picture of the total lunacy, would be completely avoidable if the old move tool handles were usable

3 Likes

Based on all of the comments here, I think returning the Pivot Editor to beta while we consider how address all of the issues raised here is the right course. I’ll return the feature to beta today, and then follow up with everyone to gather feedback. Thanks for your patience!

4 Likes

I still don’t see it in the beta features yet.

1 Like

Can you explain what your workflow is? There should be no change to defaults. A Model’s pivot should be identical to without the pivot editor unless you explicitly go in using the tool to change the pivot.

Could you give any more detail on the kind of performance issues you are having?

When mass selecting items there are the same amount of pivot points and it’s basically like another part being put into the Workspace. Too many parts/Models being dragged already causes lag for me and with the pivot points also appearing while the items are being dragged would double the amount of lag i had, working with mass builds with all these pivot points sometimes crashed my Studio and end up with me loosing progress.

Example:

(a pivot point per part), a way this could be fixed is if there was one pivot point in the center. But then again the tools being in the middle of the selected items are really difficult to move them to to the wanted position.

I totally agree. They should have an option to turn this off, It’s not very useful whn your woking on a small scale and trying to precisly move a part because the move tool is centered to the picot point.

I’m the same. I prefer what I am used to as it works for me.

Late response, sorry.

Sometimes, it randomly places the MainPart of the model somewhere randomly and since im so used to just adjusting the position from center mass of the entire model, I have to take the time to go to properties, remove the MainPart, and then reset the Pivot from the model tab.

It could be that it’s inheriting the MainPart of a model inside of it and throwing the entire thing off, but I could be wrong.

It’s just a convenience thing. I don’t think I’ll ever use it, that why I think it should have a disable feature. That way, if I do need it I can just go to the setting and re-enable it.

Hi Architekts! Forgive me for the direct reply, but I’m also trying to understand the problems people are having with the pivot stuff. I think the changes are great and really want to support them, but I’m struggling to understand the argument against having them. Would you mind clarifying your comment, “…randomly places the MainPart of the model somewhere?” If parts of the model are being randomly placed, then that would be a big problem. Are you saying that when you go to move a model, you are expecting to find the grabber handles out at the sides, but instead they are around a pivot (maybe off somewhere inconvenient)? The later comment, “It could be that it’s inheriting the MainPart of a model inside of it and throwing the entire thing off,” makes me wonder if there is something more that I’m missing. Pre-Thanks for any clarification!

This is what I meant by it randomly being assigned a PrimaryPart (I said MainPart, same thing lol)

From there I have to remove the PrimaryPart and reset the pivot. It’s just an inconvenience with it not being something I’ll ever use. If you have a use for it, power to you. I just think it would be nice to have a disable option in the settings.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the behavior when adding/removing parts from a Model, or moving parts within a Model? I was reminded of this while re-reading the documentation for Model.PrimaryPart:

If the primary part is not set, the pivot will remain at the same location in world space even if parts within the model are moved.

Below, the yellow part within the model was moved but the pivot location is unaffected. This is also the behavior when adding/removing parts from a model.

As you point out, making lots of edits like this means you constantly have to hit Reset to re-center the pivot.

I’d like to understand whether the current behavior for models makes sense - or is causing unnecessary confusion and friction. Would you expect a Model’s pivot to always be centered, unless a custom pivot or Primary Part has been set?

How come the staff team, that should gather opinions about the feature, dismiss any and every negative opinion (which is most of them) about such feature? If you guys don’t care, and aren’t going to even try caring, just close the Topic. So far, every reply from a staff member to a negative opinion that i’ve seen is them talking about holding tab(which is IMPRACTICAL) and just denying the option of turning it off, and giving bad reasons for such denials.

Like, really, how hard can it be to just toggle the pivot dot and snatch the movement arrows to the pivot, when clicking this “Edit Pivot” button?? See, it’s really just that. That would make people SO much at ease with this feature. The Pivot tool is already in the Models tab, it won’t go away, just give us the option of turning off the movement arrow’s snatch and the dots…