Pivot Editor: Full Release

This is so useful for so much developers! :tada: :tada: :tada:

I’ll love to test it out and see it in roblox soon.

Random feeler, how interested would you be in having the Collisions toggle turn on some kind of “bumping” behavior like this for freeform dragging in Geometric mode:

• Looks awesome, I would use it.
  • Meh, I probably wouldn’t make use of it.
  • No, I have Collisions turned off for a reason!

0 voters

8 Likes

I kept saying this, and this is still a bug:
If you move with PivotTo - events that the object’s parts changed position/angles WON’T FIRE.
I know you have recently added this to the API as if it was intended but this is not a desired behavior.

Somewhat related, was there a reason not to use Model:SetPrimaryPartCFrame() before this update?

I don’t know if this is fixable, but the only reason why I avoid using this feature is because the daggers are now placed in the center of a part/model instead of around it like before. If this can be changed, please tell me.

1 Like

Yes, if you use it on a model too many times, it will gradually start offsetting parts inside from their original offset because of floating point errors:

2 Likes

I can make hollow fuselages easier now :sunglasses:

thanks!

This is intended for better performance (Firing Position / Orientation changes on everything has a noticable cost when a complex model is being moved). If you want to listen for a part moving thanks to PivotTo (or BulkMoveTo) you have to listen for CFrame changes instead.

3 Likes

We’re very unlikely to change this. The intent is that handle summoning covers the use cases where having the handles at the edges was previously useful. Have you tried handle summoning, and if you have what scenarios are you still having trouble with?

3 Likes

Will the Touched event work for the Pivot points? I heard that Touched events don’t work in CFrames (I could be wrong about this).

I’ve tried that before and it worked, but it slows my building speed a little bit.

Just the fact that I have to select the center of a part to move it using the handles.

I’ll continue using the Studio Build Suite pivoting feature because it works better for my workflow.

So it’s that the handles get in the way of you clicking on the part to freeform drag it too much?

3 Likes

Sorry, I said the wrong word. Instead of dragging, I meant to say move using the handles.

1 Like

Love it already!, this will be such a great addition to Developers!
Ty Roblox Staff :smiley:

2 Likes

PivotTo wont trigger touched events in the same way that other methods of moving stuff via script don’t trigger them. Parts only get touched events when they collide while moving thanks to physics simulation.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. So, are there no way to have the Touched event triggered with scripts?

Not right now. The simulation team is actually going to look at exactly that issue some time reasonably soon, though what form the solution takes will depend what they turn up when they dig into the problem.

If you need a workaround you can call :GetTouchingParts() on the moved parts to see if there’s anything touching them at the new location.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will have to try :GetTouchingParts() later. :grinning:

1 Like

This function only works on parts that have CanCollide on.

1 Like

Ok thank you for clarifying. I think it should be added to the documentation that you can instead listen to CFrame. If only I knew that in time…