Pivot Points - Studio Beta Update: Handle Summoning

Yah, thankyou! It would be useful to paste in the world position from another object that I would like to use as this objects pivot point.

3 Likes

For me it was actually more convenient when the pivot was from the most recently selected object, could you add this as an option in the studio settings?

1 Like

Finally, this is going to be very helpful.

1 Like

Could you explain your typical use case?

1 Like

I don’t have the beta on and the summon handles UI is still coming up on my screen, is that a bug?

Is there a setting to disable this, if not can we please have a setting to disable this?
It flickers on my screen when changing camera angles while I’m building and moving my camera making it one of the most distracting UIs to show while building.

3 Likes

Yes, one sec, disabling the feature for now thanks to this. The note should not be showing up unless you have the beta enabled but is anyways.

4 Likes

The feature is disabled until (7/21): The visual note indicating that handles can be summoned was showing up unconditionally even for users without the Pivot Editor beta enabled.

13 Likes

I am absolutely in love with all of the care and attention to detail that the draggers in Studio are getting. This feature is extremely powerful and allows me to do a lot of things that I’ve struggled with in the past. With every little thing implemented for the draggers, a want or need for an oftentimes excessively elaborate plugin disappears.

8 Likes

Handles = Useful. I will often times be trying to tweak a large part ever so slightly, but it can be difficult because of how far away the scale button can be. Handles will hopefully fix that!

1 Like

Very good update. I’m excited for the pivot stuffs.

1 Like

really awesome if you ask me. Now i dont need to move part and rotate it since now i can do it by this. Really like the feature. When will it be a fully released? (leave the beta phase)

1 Like

Now we just need more customizability for the selection box… It’s been so long image

3 Likes

I personally think this is a pleasant creation! Also, this will introduce a lot of new features into RobloxStudio and create excellent games! Magnificent creation.

1 Like

For sure by the end of the year. Possibly within a couple months if we’re satisfied with where the feedback is at.

3 Likes

What kind of customabily may I ask? I’m not sure what else to change about it. Lol

1 Like

Thickness at least, I’m actually adding an option for that this month some time. The Selection Box may be seeing some bigger improvements in general but early next year at the soonest.

8 Likes

You could make the pivot a 0.2 stud ball. Nothing intrusive and nothing that bad.

Super excited to hear this is being looked at soon. We’ve been screaming about the selection box and decal surface selection boxes being completely insane for a very very long time, and I even wrote a plugin (StudioTweaks) that abuses the culling behavior of glass to replace the selection box.

With respect to this, I just want to mention that my plugin changes the outline thickness of the box dynamically according to how close the camera is to it, and also makes the box partially transparent and larger than the selection so the outlines don’t obscure the selected object. All of this feels rather nice to use and might be worth experimenting with / adding settings for (i.e dynamic or static thickness, transparency, inflation).

@KristinaMoment That becomes intrusive and bad when working on things very small. E.g. a model made of parts comparable to 0.2 studs in size.

3 Likes

The longer term changes probably mean having an outline based selection in Studio like most other DCC tools, there’s some initial explorative work going on in that regard now.

In the interim, I’m not going to scale the selection boxes with distance to the camera or anything, because that causes problematic mismatches in size for objects which should appear exactly aligned with each other, making it unclear whether they are aligned.

I think that in general people work at a consistent enough scale that at least being able to change the thickness to a specific constant value is enough for an interim solution (and the thickness setting will be forwards compatible with selection outlines if we use those in the future).

6 Likes

I thought Pivot Editor was disabled…? I can still turn it on and off via beta features tab.