Pivot Points - Studio Beta Update: Handle Summoning

Only the new features mentioned in this post are disabled, the base functionality is still there.

1 Like

I want mention that what I do see of this with my plugin, the effect is typically subtle and when the distances from the camera to the two aligned objects are different enough to create a noticeable thickness difference, it does not cause much trouble in checking alignment. Most people will just move closer to the join to check alignment, which resolves the problem.

Looking from the far end towards the short part is probably the worst case, but nobody would expect to be able to judge alignment this way.

It is very inconvenient to have to constantly open the settings panel to change the selection box thickness when you are building quickly at varying scales, which happens rather often.

Of course I would be very happy to have a setting for this, and I would be able to more easily provide this kind of dynamic thickness effect if this setting is scriptable, but it would be nice if this was simply an option and users didn’t need a plugin to be able to conveniently work at variable scales when building.

1 Like

Thanks, I know what you do to solve it. While it doesn’t look bad and is somewhat effective, it looks a little bit too janky at times to use as the official solution for everyone: People might think it was broken when first using studio if they saw it acting like that.

3 Likes

The Handle Summoning change isn’t being turned back on this week yet (that’s planned for next week), but I do have another couple small updates that have been enabled:

• The pivot will now be set when importing meshes through the properties pane and the Avatar importer. Importing through the Bulk Importer will not, because it imports to raw meshes rather than MeshParts, but we have work underway that will mean all importing workflows set the pivot in the future.

• Cleaned up edge case behavior in the draggers in general: Some very rare edge cases that previously caused the draggers to throw errors no longer will.

2 Likes

The Handle Summoning functionality has been re-enabled, thanks for your patience.

6 Likes