Pixelated effect without viewports

Hello! I’m currently working on a Roblox horror project. I have an original concept and I am super passionate. Although for this idea to go the way I’m hoping I need a retro style pixelation effect. The most common way to achieve this effect is viewports, but they have some serious limitations. You cant have any lighting settings, any terrain, etc. It is so limited it becomes pretty much impossible to make a proper game.

The other solution is to use raycasts. Although this does work, it is very performance taxing. I’ve only ever seen this done with good framerate by @Ethanthegrand14 . It is insane what is accomplished, I’m just not sure how to do this myself. If anyone is aware of an open source project like this or has advice on how to accomplish this while maintaining performance, please let me know!

You might be able to get away with using custom low-res textures and a gui static effect. This may be a good way to achieve a similer style, but a perfect solution isn’t possible at the moment. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like