Place is too large to publish

Hi, so over the last few days, I’ve been experiencing an issue which does not allow me to publish a map for my game to Roblox. This is extremely interrupting to my workflow and I’ve worked very hard on optimising this map (thinning out the terrain), but to no avail. The image attached is the error I get whilst trying to save/publish. My game is 151MB, but a place with more voxels and instances was able to be published. I think Roblox should support bigger games with community and provide us possibility to use “Publish to/Save to” feature.

I received these two errors:

1. The place is too large. - Studio
  2. Place Save Error - HTTP 413 (Request Entity Too Large): The page was not displayed because the request entity is too large. - Studio

Are you importing it from Blender? If the file is too big then you cannot import it.

1 Like

No, I’m using Roblox terrain here.

In all honestly you’re gonna have to cut down on your game size, remove unused assets and try to limit textures.

It doesn’t make sense. I tried to publish a far bigger game with more voxels, more instances and parts, and it worked. The file size was far smaller. Something is up here. Could my place be corrupted?

What is the file size of your place? File size is compressed into a ROBLOX Level file. To check, save it to file (.rbxl).

Does it work when you save to .rbxlx and then open and save to Roblox again?

The file size is 136MB even though places with far more parts, instances and voxels are around 80MB at the highest. And yeah, I’ve tried that; it comes up with the same error. There are no problematic instances as the file is still too large even when I remove every single instance.

maybe try opening the place file with a hex editor and looking for massive chunks of repeated data

The binary code seemed fine. Hmm.

Does your game use a lot of meshes?

No. Not at all. It’s just really thin terrain which is about 15k x 15k studs. Files with thicker, longer terrain, meshes, instances etc. are somehow half the size. It’s making me think the file is corrupted with a virus from a plugin.