Place Open Improvements [Test]

Hi Creators,

We’re testing improvements we are making to the open place process in Studio. Our primary goal is to reduce hangs and the time it takes to open a place so you can spend less time waiting and more time creating!

With this being such a critical part of using Studio, we want to carefully deploy this into production. During the testing period this will be turned on for a small percentage of creators.

You will know if you have this feature if you see something similar to this new loading UI:

image1 image2

If you see this new UI and have any feedback, please let us know.

Known Issues

There may be missing information in the loading dialog and these are minor UI bugs we are working on.

You are more likely to see this under these circumstances:

• Opening a new place from File > New
  • During Local Server/Client or Team Testing
  • “Save As” or “Publish As” to a new experience
  • Opening places from Creator Hub or Asset Manager
257 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

That’s really neat! Good thing y’all are improving core features of Studio. Can’t wait to what’s coming next.

Can we expect improvements on publishing experiences/models next?

61 Likes

What changes have you made internally to support this feature? I’m more curious as to what optimizations have been made on the software side.

36 Likes

Did you plan to let us choose which place to open? I have a teleportation place as main place (little to no content), and my main game baseplate (which isn’t the official default place of the experience). I need to open the teleportation place, then hop into assets manager to open the place I want. I feel this could be simplified and I hope it is planned !

25 Likes

You can already do this - you need to have the experience list in ‘list’ not ‘grid’ mode. You click on the experience and there is a dropdown for each place.

34 Likes

What kind of speedup can we expect?

Place test speed improvements next?
Our testing place takes more than 30s to test. I think testing is even more critical than opening (used more often). Improvements would be greatly appreciated.

20 Likes

A lot.

Basically this takes all the splintered codepaths which evolved separately as things like Team Create were added to the product over the last decade, and refactors them back into a nice unified architecture, while also using the more robust modern coding patterns we’ve developed in that time.

69 Likes

Oh my god, I absolutely did not know that, you made my day thank you so much

17 Likes

i looked and dont have it but seems like a very nice performance change

edit: i think something is wrong because my roblox studio is very slow after this update it takes forever for it to load something

12 Likes

I find that testing the game in studio takes a long time, especially recently. Does this update help that too or just the initial place loading?

12 Likes

Awesome! Hope this is done to other relevantly slow parts as well.

11 Likes

Play Testing performance is a different thing but something we’re also spending a lot of time improving.

23 Likes

Not sure if this is related to the latest update, but every time I try to open Roblox Studio it starts installing, and then asks this:

18 Likes

I’m guessing this is related to installing WebView2 which we use for the login UI.

27 Likes

Is there a plan to increase or change the publish timeout limit?

I haven’t tested it lately but historically the timed publish limit is unfair to Dev’s with slow internets (their effective place size limit that they can upload in a given time is smaller).

This would be more fair if it was a size based limit. If a Dev wants to wait 30 minutes to upload a 20MB place file, let them do it.

Last I checked the timeout was around 2 minutes.

21 Likes

Very helpful feature, loads of drawbacks of the old studio UI. I’m glad they are being worked out.

The docking issues are the worst and I don’t think they’ve been fixed in either versions which is annoying, but manageable!

Nice work, roblox engineers! :heart:

21 Likes

I’m still curious why Studio uses WebView now to login, and why the original login UI was removed.

16 Likes

That decision was a little bit before my time but my understanding is that one of the driving factors was a big push at improving security platform wide. The current login flow for Studio has some rough edges we look forward to smoothing over.

15 Likes

Can we also get a fix for auto-save?
When a autosave occurs it like “refreshes” studio meaning if I’m editing an instance and it auto saves I’ll continue typing and it will end up deleting an instance, reverting changes and more.

It’s overall annoying and should be fixed, if there’s an option to disable it as well where?

22 Likes