Placeholder domain used when LocalScript prints out things in console

Hello!
I’m making this post to report a bug involving the console.
When a LocalScript errors/warns/prints, the text to quickly access the script points to a placeholder domain. (which is example.com), making it so that when I want to quickly open the line with the error, it doesn’t work.

Sometimes, it also happens for all scripts in a Team Create test session,
and for all CoreScripts (might be intentional to hide the script’s existence?)

Started happening in this midyear.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

I think it’s just a URI so that the source works; does this cause any issues with your work flow?

1 Like

This occurs because the script link points to a script which was cloned during runtime. Since the link only works for the duration of the play test, you have to click it before you end it.

Example:

During:

After:

2 Likes

It shouldn’t cause example.com to popup.

I was already aware of this workaround, but it’s still annoying because stopping the playtest causes the viewport to be opened.

Also this wasn’t always an issue, it started appearing this year. Probably should including this in op.

1 Like

I do agree that only the “Source not available” text should be kept.

I’ve personally had this thing appear since the very start of my career.

1 Like

This genuinely isn’t even a bug.

you know, there is a reason it’s called a placeholder. Ever thought of that before? it’s not like it harms your workflow

I know. And the reason is: Testing! For example, let’s say that roblox is a totally new thing and that the roblox.com website isn’t created, because they still don’t have a name for it. but you don’t want to stop developing the IDE just because of that! Well, you’ll use example.com instead. But does the roblox.com website exist? Absolutely! And should placeholder domains used for testing show up in live versions? No!

why are you being so… attituted? idk how u say it in english.
EDIT: the word i was looking for is :sparkles: bitchy :sparkles:

yes it harms my workflow, read op. Don’t repeat words you’ve just learned without fully understanding its meaning.

2 Likes

Yes it is, why would example.com ever popup instead of roblox.com?

2 Likes

Potentially the behavior you’re looking for is it just saying “Source not available”, without the broken URI

1 Like

In a sense, this is like complaining about the presence of stack trace in runtime errors.

1 Like

This is more like the stack trace changing to point to some internal C++ engine function, like, for example,

Assertion failed: Workspace.MyModule:33
Workspace.MyScript:2

changing to;

Assertion failed: luau.execute:??
ScriptingLanguage.Update:??
Engine->Update:??
main::main():??

instead of, at the very least, showing what script the error came from. Placeholders should not make it to production! Even if it’s not unintentional (i.e. there could be technical reasons why this can’t change and the engineering team know it), this is still unexpected by the user of the program, and definitely seems broken.

You can’t just dismiss this as “placeholders happen lol”, this is meant to be a professional tool to interface with a game engine. Sure, this isn’t that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but it really seems like you’re trying to deflect any attention brought onto this bug report, for no reason.

Let bugs get fixed, let the engineers prioritize what’s important, and don’t discourage people from pointing out little flaws that, when fixed, can lead to a more “polished” feeling experience for newcomers.

2 Likes

Whether or not you agree with the bug report, there’s no need to be pointlessly rude about it

2 Likes

but the source is not available because a placeholder pops up. this is a symptom of the bug, not the bug itself if you get what i mean.

The source is not available because the script doesn’t exist anymore. The placeholder is just the URI so when the source exists it links to the script.

Oh okay. But either way I was reporting the placeholder popping up, so I won’t change the title.

Hey everyone - sounds like this is by design, is that right?

No, except for the corescripts maybe.

This is by design.

Why would it be by design? nnnnnnn