I found a bug that may be seen as minor but is very annoying in the long run. It hampers with gameplay and, based on what my reaction was when I came across it, would leave a bad UX behind.
When my character is walking (using W, A, S, and D) and I click on a Textbox, the game ignores that and my character still keeps walking in the same direction (i.e. when I press S, the character doesn’t go backward). Even when I release my hands from my keyboard, the character continues walking. So far, I have only seen this bug on desktop/PC (see my system specs in “Bug Location” below), so I don’t know about this on tablets, phones, or console.
I would normally expect for my character to stop as soon as I click on a Textbox. It shouldn’t keep walking without my control.
I apologize that it’s a little laggy and a little jumpy, but I tried my best.
- I can still type anything I want in the Textbox.
- Pressing W, A, S, or D doesn’t change the direction of the character; it just keeps walking in the same direction as when the Textbox first came in focus.
- Happens with all Textboxes, regardless of their properties.
Recreating the Bug
- Starting walking in any direction.
- Click on any Textbox.
- Release your hands from your keyboard and notice the character still walks.
I first noticed this bug on a game server but also happens on Roblox Studio.
As I said before, my platform is a Windows 10 PC.
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.88 Safari/537.36
- Platform Type: PC
- Device Type: Computer
- This is not level-specific or game-specific; this bug happens everywhere on Roblox.
- I started noticing this bug quite a long time ago (many months ago).
That’s the bug. As I said, many would say it’s minor. But when you’re trying to communicate in a fast-paced, action-packed, and intense game, it’s quite annoying that the character just keeps walking without the user’s control.
Hopefully, this bug is fixed soon.
Thank you for reading,
and Happy New Year !
EDIT: I heard that this is not a bug after all (big gasp for me)! It’s actually a feature that many requested to be added back in after it was removed (check the replies below). So, I’m keeping this topic, but consider it as a feature request for a togglable setting allowing players to choose if their characters should continue walking while chatting.