Player.Chatted Recipient variable not being set correctly

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.
    This is the wiki location for the Player.Chatted event which is supposed to have 2 parameters; the first being the chat message and the second being the recipient (which is nil if it is not a whisper) yet after testing I have found that even on a whisper the recipient stays nil whereas it should be set to the player being whispered to.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.
    Everytime.
    function NewPlayer(Player)
    Player.Chatted:connect(function(Chat,To)
    if not To then
    print(ā€œNo recipientā€)
    else
    print("Recipient: "ā€¦tostring(To)
    end
    end)
    end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:connect(NewPlayer)
    for _,Player in pairs(game.Players:GetPlayers()) do
    NewPlayer(Player)
    end

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.
    Any game server. Only tested server-side.

• Would a screenshot or video help describe it to someone? If so, post one.

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.
    Iā€™ve only just noticed this variable having been added so I am unsure when it was broken or if it was ever working.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.

2 Likes

This still appears to be a thing.

Any official response that can be added about this?

1 Like

I am seeing this behavior currently. ā€œrecipientā€ is nil and the message is ā€œ/w <RecipientName> <message>ā€

1 Like

This is still happening. The recipient parameter is always nil, very annoying. You can detect when someone starts whispering with string manipulation (message begins with /w or /whisper), but it would be very hard to detect when they stop whispering.

1 Like

This issue is still an problem today in 2021, which is incredibly infuriating, I believe that people have started making their own APIs to do this with, which shouldnā€™t be necessary as it is a feature listed on the roblox developer hub, so either remove and depreciate it permanently roblox, or try find a way to fix this issue.

Iā€™m writing this to ā€˜bump the topic to the top of its listā€™ so itā€™s more likely to get fixed, as this should not have been broken for this long

(Sorry for the notification)

3 Likes