Player.Chatted incorrectly lists "recipient" as second parameter

Page URL: Player | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Issue Description:
The Player.Chatted page states there are two parameters passed for the event: “message” and “recipient”. The description for recipient is The player that the message was intended for (nil if the player was not whispering to another player)

However, this is not the case - the second parameter is always nil, as detailed in this bug report from over 3 years ago..

If the intended functionality is what is described on the DevHub, this is an engine bug as well. However, the DevHub should actual functionality, not intended functionality.

This is probably an artifact from an old chat system. If that’s true, then recipient always being nil is accurate because the Lua Chat System doesn’t fill out the recipient parameter. Nowadays you’d be expected to use ChatSpeaker.ReceivedMessage and check the channel name for a whisper.

If what I’m saying is the case, then the recipient parameter should be hidden off documentation so it stops throwing off developers as a bug because it isn’t, or the Lua Chat System should be modified to take control of this parameter (it clearly has the ability to fire Chatted with a message, after all).

Hey,

Thanks for reporting this issue! I’ve just logged it, and the team will get to it when they can.

3 Likes

I’ve marked this 10-year-old parameter as deprecated, since I don’t think it’s worked for a long time and there’s the Lua Chat System which is probably more useful. Thanks for the report :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.