Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles

These ultra corporate moves designed towards maximizing absolute profits and click’s is dumb and souless. All this does is just remove any real flavor the platform had left just for a 0.00000001% click through increase. I do understand that profits are important however making profits the sole number 1 priority will only lead to artificiality and fakeness (which by themselves could eventually start bleeding profits if the current AAA dramas are anything to go by).

There’s nothing making these changes any more “vibrant long term”. The only thing’s thats going to be long term is corporatism and artificiality.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to really focus on these changes with very diminishing returns rather than focusing on bigger things (like how about we get a genre filter, this sort of simple feature we used to have could actually make things more vibrant long term but i guess not since its not min-maxing profits).

11 Likes

Couldnt yall keep the CCU only visible in high player experiences? and experiences with less than 200 invisible??

9 Likes

I’m not sure how that would work, as some may see it as a disadvantage for growing their player count to 200+ or whatever the number would be. In my opinion, if they go through with these changes, they should make it a setting (maybe off by default if they really want this). That way both sides can be satisfied.

13 Likes

ngl, the rating metric is bs to compare games with because often times people don’t rate the game they like, and when they’re upset about something they down vote it. Other times there could be competition and bot accounts down voting the game, so having player count metric is much more preferred, including the fact that players count metric has been always on Roblox since it’s release.

8 Likes

Honestly as much as bigger tiles would be nice etc, i for one would much rather just stick to the 1:1 smaller ones, also player count is nice to see, doing this is more clicks for users.

Personally id just want ways to customize what shows on my home, how is layout is, and what to prioritize of top…

Also ahaon I’ll mention we need an actual genre sort and maybe like steams sorting/filtering. Half the time the stuff i see are genres i couldn’t care less about. Like click simulators and tycoons and other games and roleplay style games. Takes a bit to get to what i want to look through when I do

8 Likes

Bro, high player counts mostly mean that they’re low effort young baby oriented games like Brookhaven.

9 Likes

High player counts also mean that the game has players that care enough to spend time in the game

also roblox is mostly <13 lol

8 Likes

There is plenty of room to display both Friends, and Rating underneath the Experience name.

I find the like ratio to be a lot more important than whether my friend has played it or not, so I find this crucial to be included.

7 Likes

This change could go both ways, and I’m being very apprehensively optimistic about it. It’s quite literally like YouTube removing dislikes. It’s a super important metric, and we were told to never judge books by their cover, but this is what people will inherently do anyway and it’ll be harder for us to decide on whether we want to play or not.

But at the same time, if it’s all about removing bias, it does have a fair shot at being a decent update and giving better, more underappreciated/underrated games a shot, so I’m trying to be a bit more optimistic than pessimistic.

But in every case, PLEASE keep the game rating visible at ALL times, I’d argue that’s more important than player count.

6 Likes

Are you adding MUI to Roblox later?

5 Likes

player counts will still be visible, just not on the thumbnails, definitely not as drastic as “removing dislikes on Youtube”

6 Likes

I can see how the view count can create bias, but now people can only really go off of the thumbnail to see if they want to play something.

There is the like rating (sometimes), the friend playing icons (sometimes), and the sorts by Roblox (sometimes). To users who don’t have friends who play my game, and if my game isn’t on a sort by Roblox, it’s likely NOT getting discovered.

Niche content suffers already, but now it’s harder to pick out that content, kinda. We need a way to find things not already picked up by Roblox.

5 Likes

General issues with this topic:

• Why hide ratings if a friend is playing? More specifically, why is this change wasting real estate?
  • Some players don’t want to play experiences by themselves and removing active player counts can deceive users into playing experiences that have no one else in them.
  • Removing player counts makes the expectation of the algorithm unknown, since we can now have games with 50% ratings overshadow those with 90%+.

d06a7799bd4eb5508c84781df6c5388b (1)

I suggest something like this. It shows friends, ratings, and active player count. (we can even replace the ‘plrs’ with the current active player count icon and the ‘% Rating’ with the current rating icon to save even more space to allow for longer titles!)

We should favor changes that maximize real estate.

Also, without player counts visible, you’re going to get complaints like why the first game is overshadowing the other two:

17 Likes

I agree with this, I like looking at Player count

we could find a middle ground solution where perhaps hovering over the tile will show player count and rating information?

6 Likes

YES I love this, now people who have made games like me will be more likely to get players :smiley: .I’m so bored of always seeing the same games on the first page. Additionally, this will be a blow to cash grab games.

CASH GRAB GAMES MUST BE DESTROYED :anger:

4 Likes

Everyone is acting as if they are removing CCUs from ever appearing (like YouTube dislikes), but this is far from the case. You can easily open the game’s page to see CCUs.

Roblox, please trust the statistics and keep the update. It’s not like Steam or Epic Games displays a player count or download count on their front pages, so this would make Roblox more professional and friendly to indie developers.

20 Likes

The CCU can be important information for a user to know if this experience is potentially good, since there is a lot of spam Roblox games. I think when using the search function, it should show the CCU of the places, because there is tons of empty places that come up with no players, but for the discovery page I think it should be like if its under 5K ccu, it should say the exact number of players in that experience right now, but if its above 5K ccu it should say 5K+ players in this experience, this way you remove the bias of players playing that game, but maintain some information to the user that is experience is good.

TL;DR Keep ccu display on experiences that show up when using the search function, but for discovery page show the exact amount of players in that game until it reaches 5K, after 5K it will just display as 5K+ players in this experience.

3 Likes

Even if the game is good, ain’t no one having fun with 0 players… :skull::skull::skull:

6 Likes

Actually if your game is good, and can be solo played you can totally have fun. I have played games alone but can also be played with others before, and I’ve had fun.

2 Likes

Getting from 0 - 100 players isn’t too hard, especially if you create a dedicated group with a few friends to play together + some small sponsoring.

Getting from 100 - 1K players is the difficult part for most startup games, and they would benefit the most from this change.

3 Likes