Player Count Changes on Experience Tiles

I can see the reasoning behind Roblox’s decision to remove player counts from experience tiles. It might encourage users to explore a wider range of experiences and support smaller creators. However, I also value the transparency that player counts provide, as they give me an indication of an experience’s popularity and activity level. It’s a bit of a mixed bag for me—I appreciate the potential for more diverse exploration but also value having all the information at hand to make informed decisions.

6 Likes

Giving this a second thought has slightly changed my mind.
I normally look at the player count usually so I can see which game is the real game since there’s often also fake copied games that use the same name and thumbnail.

But if hiding an easily viewable stat somehow improves people discovering and wanting to try more games, that’s honestly a plus.

I’m not against the change, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it either due this slight inconvenience.
But perhaps it’ll turn out great.

7 Likes

Making “experience tiles” larger reduces the amount of them on screen. Thus reducing the chance of your “unique experience” being played by 19.98202837%.

Also last time I checked Roblox wasn’t the youtube homepage. What are we getting next, Roblox Shorts???

5 Likes

I dont get all the hate, as a smaller developer this will drastically increase the amount of people playing my game due to the player count not being such a deciding factor whether a player joins the game or not.

7 Likes

This is one of the worst decision made don’t remove ccu,

Please listen to your community and do what the community says instead of what you guys think is the way!

4 Likes

The second paragraph I cannot agree with remotely. There are HUNDREDS of games exploiting teleport service to maintain players in a game just before 20 minutes of them being afk has elapsed to farm visits, many experiences that exploit the ease of changing the experience name, icon and thumbnails to look like a different game, and just generally loads of terrible games usually have a lot of players playing them, ie most games on the front page… and now most games shoved onto the home page.

amount of players playing is not correlated with game quality. Kids are blind to quality. Teleport service still grants a game a visit.

7 Likes

So first you outright remove developers ability to see their game’s historical visits count, now you remove the ability to see it AT ALL on the front page!?
What next, are you going to hide the favourites counter and like/dislike ratio? Remove the ability to see a games name and description?

Roblox keep claiming they are improving, yet many changes like these are being made without even asking the people who use the damn service about it, and FAR too few people are criticising Roblox for these changes they are actively making which harm both players and developers. Forcing us to use third party services just to see basic analytical data YOU can easily store and DO store is NOT helpful, its the opposite. It almost seems like you outright want people to just use a different development platform, do you WANT us to move to unity or other platforms like it?

5 Likes

Also just because its more likely for someone to click a game, doesn’t mean they will enjoy it, or that its the right game for them, or that they’re a genuine user at all either. It just makes it more likely for a game to be played by those who aren’t its target audience, and will negatively impact the game’s dislikes and community.

6 Likes

Not mentioning that the average playtime per visit will go down aswell.

6 Likes

Whenever I go out exploring for new and trending games on ROBLOX, I always look at the player count. Occasionally I’ll join lower player count ones if it looks interesting enough and touches on a topic I’m interested in, but generally low players = dead game. Taking steps to hinder this information is a bad move against already successful titles which generate you the most revenue anyway.

7 Likes

I don’t support this change, we need to see the play count because it basically will show a game’s trustworthiness. I dunno what it is, but when I see a game with a higher player count I know it’s going to be at least not trash. This especially takes place when searching. The game with the highest player count is probably the game I’m looking for.

8 Likes

Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me. Literally nobody asked for, needed or wanted this change, why was this considered necessary? We don’t care if our friends visited a game, if you intend to replace it with that. And you think for a second that a majority of the users on here prefer to look at the CCUs after they’ve clicked on the tile, you are wrong.

It’s just sad that after we’ve all been saying we want to see how many players are in a game after you initially ruined it with the “x friends played this” being present on the experience tile, you completely ignored us and intend to remove that basic feature of the experience tile entirely.

Sorry if this seemed a bit of a rant.

15 Likes

This statement ironically shows how this change would be beneficial. Player count doesnt tell users anything significant about a game, and can lead to false assumptions. At most, it says “Is it dead or not?”, which is only useful in the case of multiplayer games such as FPS that require more than 1 active user to play, but even then that benefit dissappears after 20 CCU.

Higher player count doesn’t necessarily = “good game”, and is usually driven by marketing strategy and social media.

This change brings significantly more good than bad for most developers.

10 Likes

It’s not a bias… It’s a statistic used to make a well-informed decision…

I’d rather my players could actually make informed decisions for themselves, even if they click my game less…

sigh

11 Likes

“If we make games seem more similar, there’ll be less bias!” :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now remove game names plz, and the discover page, since it shows games with higher player counts :+1:

7 Likes

I don’t mind this change, as long as there is a place to view the player count and as long as experiences are still organized by player count or some other metric. I have a pretty niche game so any boost, even 8%, can greatly help my players in finding friends and companions to play with! <3

I do want to make clear that I only support this change if games are still sorted by player count, or some other reliable metric as big games, such as Arcane Odyssey, have numerous maliciously created duplicates to take players from the actual game and either scam them or just divert traffic away.

5 Likes

Why on earth anyone thought this would be a good idea to remove a feature that is fundamental for Roblox since 2006?! The player count on tile is absolutely essential for all games regardless of the size, popularity, etc without us having to click to open just to see player count. And that is why player count stays as a feature for many, many years.

I do not care about who and how many friend played a game, but having the amount of friend playing to completely hide like/dislike ratio and player count on a tile is just make 0 sense. Even worse is that they linger for a week despite of friends not playing that game for a week straight. Why is that “feature” even a thing to begin with? When I look at that game tile that have “X friends”, I just think that game is empty or dead, and then ignore that game with it. That does not encourage us to play with friend at all.

A real solution is completely remove “X friends” from the game tile and keep like/dislike ratio and player counts. Do you want more engagement? Keep them and take away “X friends”. This change serves no purpose or improvement but to cause more headaches for the sake of “optimizing our experience tiles”. I’d rather have more details on a tile than a very empty and meaningless tile.

10 Likes

I see a lot of comments that a “higher player count = trustworthy game”, but the reality is not always true. There are plenty of copy cat, IP theft, unlicensed rips of “real” games on Roblox that have high player counts and when you visit one of these, the quality is just terrible. While we may all “feel” that a higher player must mean the game is legit, I would argue that the research probably does not support it.

A good example would be “Poppy Playtime”. Mob Entertainment has contracted out a company to put a real game here on Roblox, but before it got here this year, there were already copy cat IP theft games that right now still have more active players than the “real” game does by thousands and thousands. I’ve visited those copy games and they were terrible. Whoever created them just takes the stolen models and stolen map data and just gives the players a sandbox to run around in while stolen audio is playing, etc.

That’s just example, I’m sure many more could be posted here from other angry devs and teams to make a point. Since you can still get the player count by visiting the said game, the only change is not being about to see this on the multi-page listings I guess?

I’m sure that if it causes enough issues, Roblox can roll-back the change. They are a for-profit company after-all. If it affects the bottom line, someone at top will do something I’m certain. :wink:

8 Likes

Ok Youtube, this is pretty unnecessary.

7 Likes

at this point i just feel like they (roblox) don’t really care much about player’s feedback

7 Likes