Player does not die if humanoid health is set to 0 while within seconds of its character being added

I’m trying to make system where if a player dies while the game is currently in-round they will respawn as a creature, but it seems like there is a temporary immunity the player has and the player does not die if I set it’s health to 0 or below within seconds of the character being loaded and remains alive with 0 health (somehow), I just want to know if there is some other more efficient method for respawning/setting the players character ON JOIN or to getting around this temporary immunity the player character has a few moments after loading, I’ve tried using LoadCharacter() but only for it to error and fill up the game with 10 different player models.

I have also tried setting the players health to negative math.huge only for the player to still not die and continue to be playable- I have no idea what is happening.

In the API it says " When the value of the character’s health reaches 0, the [Humanoid] automatically transitions to the Dead [HumanoidStateType]." but if I set the Humanoids health to 0 within a few seconds of the character being loaded for the first time the players HumanoidStateType doesn’t get set to the Dead [HumanoidStateType] and the player is still able to play (with 0 health), I think there is something wrong here.

Thank you.

1 Like

Please provide some code so others may assist you.

1 Like

Potentially try this:

1 Like

Don’t use Humanoid:TakeDamage to kill the player, instead use
Humanoid.Health = 0

Additionally, you can change the Humanoid’s state to dead:
Humanoid.State = Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead

If all this still doesn’t work, the forcefield spawn locations create might be the issue. You can just wait for it and then destroy it
Character:WaitForChild(“ForceField”):Destroy()

I do use Humanoid.Health = 0 but as you can read above it does not work on a newly loaded character, and I just tried to set the state to Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead but I got an error saying “State is not a valid member of Humanoid “Noobap0.Humanoid””, also all forcefield durations on every spawn is set at 0.

Here is the code for my PlayerAdded function that takes care of all the team changes for players.
It works perfectly aside for if someone joins while in-round, the players team is set correctly but I cannot set their avatar to the creature for the life of me for no apparent reason.

local function PlayerAdded(player)
	player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		local Humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")

if InRound.Value == true and player.Team ~= TrollTeam then
			player.Team = TrollTeam
		elseif InRound.Value == false and player.Team ~= HumanTeam then
			player.Team = HumanTeam
		end

Humanoid.Died:Connect(function()
			task.wait(3)

if InRound.Value == true then

local TrollClone = TrollCharacter:Clone()

TrollClone.Name = player.Name
				TrollClone.Parent = workspace

player.Character = TrollClone

elseif InRound.Value == false then

if Players[player.Name] then
					player:LoadCharacter()

player.Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid").BreakJointsOnDeath = false
					player.Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid").RequiresNeck = false
				end
			end
		end)
	end)

if InRound.Value == true and player.Team ~= TrollTeam then
		player.Team = TrollTeam
		player.Team = HumanTeam
	end
end

I found out that using ChangeState on a Humanoid only works in LocalScripts for example:

player.Character.Humanoid:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead)
and
game.Workspace."PlayerCharacter".Humanoid:ChangeState(Enum.HumanoidStateType.Dead)
only work client-side, it would’ve been helpful if it said this on the api.

I was able to get it to an acceptable rate of function by sending a remote from inside a Servers-Side PlayerAdded function that loops sending a remote to a local script to set the players health to 0 until the player is identified as dead on the Server-Side.

Here are the scripts that I used for those that are in this post because they encountered the same issue.
Server-side script

local db = false

repeat
	task.wait(0.1)
until player:HasAppearanceLoaded()

if InRound.Value == true then
      player.Team = TrollTeam

player.Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid").Died:Once(function()
            db = true
      end)

repeat
      task.wait(0.1)
                  StartRemote:FireClient(player)
      until db == true

player.Team = HumanTeam
end

Client-side script

StartRemote.OnClientEvent:Connect(function()
	LocalPlayer.Character:WaitForChild("Humanoid").Health = 0
end)

Although this is definitely a bug on Roblox’s end (being unable to kill the player by setting their health to 0 in Server-Side on the players first loaded character in-game) and I hope it is acknowledge and fixed by Roblox’s engineers.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.