Player doesnt die if health gets damaged negitive 0 [closed]

Im currently working on a game right now, and i am suffering from a bug.
Apparently, if a player takes damage below 0, it will display as a negitive number, basically making the player unkillable.

Heres a video for refrence

If anyone can give me advice, I would appreciate that.
It seems like the tool guns I used apparently sometimes will take negive damage even if the players health is below zero.

1 Like

is the damage given on client side (through local script) or server side (serverscript)?

If you are using Humanoid:TakeDamage() instead use:

Humanoid.Health-=Damage

Ive had situations where using take damage would not trigger death on a humanoid that would normally die when reaching <=0 HP

Alr, ill try to modify my gun scripts to fit that require. Ill see what i can do.

If you want to have a max of 100 damage you can do like this:

local Player = path.to.player
local Character = Player.Character or Player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
local Humanoid = Character:FindFirstChild("Humanoid")

Humanoid.HealthChanged:Connect(function()
   local currentHealth = Humanoid.Health

currentHealth = math.clamp(currentHealth, 0, 100)

Humanoid.Health = currentHealth
end)

If you want the player do not to that much of a damage (under 0) just clamp their damage.

The gun damage is done through a local script.

It fixed the negitive health isusues, npcs seem fine. But im still having issues with players. I’ll send a video of my results.
Take a look.

That’s bad practice, stuff that you want other players to see need to be on serverscripts not localscripts.

Anyways whatever, i tried uploading the video, nothin happen.
It was baiscally saying i tried changing the text from hithumanoid:damage to, hithuamnoid.health-=damage.
And apparently, it works for npcs, but my side, when i kill a player “my alt” with the gun, he dies and falls apart like normal. But on my alt’s screen, hes in 1 peiece. Even the death sound tries to play 3 times, not like i asked the assistant to make 4 scripts on making sure the player is dead after negitive health. I am so confused, like I’ve tried making my own roblox guns in the past, but how could I be so wrong using a highly rated “96%” freemodel, modifiying it, and leaving it as that. I found some line of code that I changed in the “Handgun” local script.

To what you said to change it to.
And it worked for the test npc, not for my alt.
I have no idea. I tried, and I failed.
And now im outting myself for using freemodels in my builds, even though I am good at building, but not really scripting or tool building.

I dont care if people call me a free to play for using free models, its just a shortcut. Now im at sqaure 1.

If someone could give advice, I would accept
But for now I am still trying to fix this issue. I’ll try to take any advice givin.

You could just use an if statement, so:

hitHumanoid:TakeDamage(Damage)
if hitHumanoid.Health <= 0 then 
    hitHumanoid.Health = 0
end

And if that doesnt work

hitHumanoid:TakeDamage(Damage)
if hitHumanoid.Health <= 0 then 
    hitHumanoid.Parent.Head:Destroy()
end

And I would still listen too those other devs, if they say its bad practice dont do it. They have a lot more knowledge than you, and your not gonna go anywhere in your development journey if you refuse to listen to the advise of others.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Hopfully this will fix it, I’ll just keep trying and do what I do.

I tried the changes on the handgun, same result.
Also the handguns crosshair broke/the gun broke and was unusable.

Crosshair exampe:

I probably should try rethinking how I add tools/weapons to my game.
I dont need to brag about my skills, I develop games as an hobby. How would I get my joy with no experience and using broken free models from the catalog.
I have no words.
There is no way this is gonna contiue.
I’ll have to get some other means of help or ideas.
I DONT KNOW.

1 Like

Great job, realized I’m a terrible developer.
I guess I’ll try next time.
I mean, I’ll just try stepping up my coding skills?

1 Like

You’re not a terrible developer, anyways have a nice day and I hope your game goes well.

1 Like

Okay, I did ended up fixing the issue, but in a different manner.
I dont need to explain, It’s late, and I must rest.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.