Player gamepass purchases failing but the player loses Robux and we have no record of purchase

Reproduction Steps
I do not have reproduction steps for this bug. At around 12 AM BST, I started being notified by many uses in the BedWars Discord that gamepass purchases made both in-game and on the website would fail but would still take their Robux. We do not have a record of this purchase, and the user’s transaction log on the Roblox website does not include the purchase and Robux deduction. The last report in our Discord server that I can find for this issue was at 1:30 AM BST.

This morning at 1:00 PM BST, I reached out to one of the users experiencing this issue (Roblox username dxstymickey) to check if it had resolved itself. They said they hadn’t received their Robux back, and there is no record of the purchase. The only record we have for this purchase is a gamepass prompt initialization at 12:08 AM UTC on PlayFab. According to the player, after making the purchase, the prompt “says something had happen[ed] with the processing”. The gamepass does not show as purchased when viewed on the website.

It should be noted that we do not make use of developer products in BedWars so cannot comment if this issue extends to them as well as gamepasses.

This is the only information we currently have about this bug. After reaching out to several other developers, they said they had received similar reports from their users in the same time frame, such as:
https://twitter.com/AdrianaBarret17/status/1424894282570346496?s=20

Expected Behavior
The expected behaviour here is a normal gamepass purchase flow. After purchasing a gamepass in-game, the user will unlock whatever it is that they purchased.

Actual Behavior
This issue occurred at a tiny scale relative to our user base, and the only information I have about what actually happened is what I included above:

“[After clicking purchase, the purchase prompt] said something had happened with the processing.”

Even though the purchase failed, the user’s Robux total was deducted, but they have no transaction log, and the gamepass doesn’t display as purchased on the website.

I also have a video of this same issue occurring on the website. The website shows that they do not have enough Robux but after reloading their Robux total went down and the gamepass isn’t shown as owned.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Other
Impact: Critical
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2021-08-10 00:08:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-08-11 01:08:00 (+01:00)

14 Likes

Locked thread but this has been going for at least a year now

2 Likes

I believe it was resolved back then. We only started receiving reports for this issue within the past 13-14 hours. Not only that, but this happening on both in-game and the website, whereas then it only happened in-game.

3 Likes

Possiblely related bug:

4 Likes

This has definitely just started happening again, as I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a credible report of this happening until during the past few days. A colleague of mine also mentioned to me yesterday night of people reporting this on Twitter after Roblox support told them to contact the game’s developers.

3 Likes

This issue is still not resolved and players haven’t received their gamepass or Robux back, could we please get an update on this? The user below purchased one of our gamepasses four times.

3 Likes

hey y’all - thanks for reporting the issue. the team looked into this and the problem shouldn’t be happening anymore and they’ll additionally look into remediation soon.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.