PlayerModule's ControlModule breaks upon attempting to call :Enable() or :Disable()

This bug appears to break scripts which attempt to enable or disable player movement using the provided Enable or Disable functions in the default PlayerModule.

This started happening mere hours ago despite me making zero changes to my game.

Example of the log in Studio:

Example of the log in the Error Reporter:

Game effected:

And now my testing place:

Here is a reproduction file with zero modifications other than a script to enable/disable movement.
Reproduction_MissingControlModule.rbxl (44.4 KB)

Expected behavior

I expect that calling :Enable() or :Disable() will enable and disable movement respectively, without erroring.

15 Likes

This is also affecting these games:

The flag ā€˜FFlagUserFixTouchJumpBugā€™ was added recently in an attempt to fix a ā€œtouch jump bugā€ (judging by the name of the flag). The if statement on line 273 of Robloxā€™s PlayerModule.ControlModule attempts to call self.touchJumpController:Enable(false), where the error in question is as follows:

Players.hello42.PlayerScripts.PlayerModule.ControlModule:274: attempt to index nil with 'Enable'.

As far as we can tell, this bug is only affecting PC users - not mobile users.

4 Likes

This is affecting all our groups games as well! This is making them unplayable in some of the games as disabling controls is a requirement!

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly!

2 Likes

Is there some sort of critical tag or something I could add to get the attention of engineers faster?

Same problem happening to me. I hope this gets fixed asap. Iā€™m currently on holiday and had to rush into studio to push a quick fix as my player count began to drop.

This still seems to disable controls so I think wrapping it in a pcall function for the time being might be a simple solution. Although I didnā€™t try this and just anchored the character instead until this is fixed.

Our team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating.

7 Likes

I also have it in a pcall, but if the pcall returns false, I have it retry so thats whatā€™s breaking things for me, I just commented out all calls to the broken function as a temp fix.

1 Like

Just affected one of my games, its great to see the roblox staff instantly working on sorting this issue!

2 Likes

Hi there! Sorry about that. Weā€™ve rolled back the flag causing this issue.

14 Likes

Excellent news! I hope in the future you can use this as a learning experience and do more testing before release! Cheers!

4 Likes