Player::RequestStreamAroundAsync Nonfunctional when Players.CharacterAutoLoads Disabled

Issue Type: Other
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-17 09:05:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced:

Reproduction Steps:
The Player:RequestStreamAroundAsync method yields infinitely and ignores the timeout parameter when Players.CharacterAutoLoads is disabled. A reproduction file is attached. When you start simulation, you will load infinitely. A message will be outputted to the console stating the requested streaming position, but the “Loading character” message will never show as it yields infinitely.

Expected Behavior:
I expect Player::RequestStreamAroundAsync to work even with Players.CharacterAutoLoads disabled.

Actual Behavior:
It fails to work completely, including the optional timeout parameter.

Workaround:
The only work around is either to not use this feature which is undesirable in large maps where I wish to prepare the spawn area, or to enable Players.CharacterAutoLoads which defeats the purpose of preparing the area altogether.

EDIT: This can be forced worked around by setting Player.ReplicationFocus before calling RequestStreamAroundAsync, however this isn’t stated anywhere in the documentation nor is it an obvious solution.

RequestStreamAroundAsync_BugRepro.rbxl (181.4 KB)

8 Likes

Thanks for the report and repro, we will investigate.

2 Likes

A fix has been developed and should be rolling out over the next couple weeks. Thanks again for the clear report and repro.

3 Likes

Hate to bump this but I’ve noticed that the fix hasn’t gone live yet. There seems to be issues occurring in my game where sometimes the player’s replication focus won’t properly get cleared and they fall into the void as the game won’t load data around their character. I’d love to stop using Player.ReplicationFocus as a hack, so would it be possible for you to give an ETA for this fix to ship?

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay and thanks for bumping this thread, this issue fell through the cracks. The fix has now been enabled.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.