Players are randomly teleported to seats for no reason

Description:
Sometimes when players leave a ship in my game (by getting up from the VehicleSeat which is used to control the ship, or any other seat in the ship), they are randomly teleported to a random seat in that ship (usually this happens around 3 to 20 seconds after getting up from the seat). There are absolutely no scripts in my game which could be responsible for it, as all of the code is either mine or approved by me and there are no viruses, so I believe this is a Roblox issue.

Frequency:
The bug happens ~20-40% of the time, it seems to be more frequent in ships that use more seats. The majority of my players, including me, experiences this bug from time to time. I don’t think it’s dependent on computer specs.

This bug has been happening for a very long time, I can safely say I’ve been experiencing it since 2016 in my games. I haven’t heard of it happening in other games. The only topic on the devforum which may be related to it is here I get teleported to random seats for unknown reason, but it wasn’t a bug report.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwgibIqlE18&feature=youtu.be
I started recording immediately after spawning the icebreaker, then I left the VehicleSeat (0:02), walked around for a moment, visiting various seats on the ship, and the bug can be seen at 1:19, when I suddenly got teleported to a random seat on the ship’s bridge.

How to replicate:
There are no fully reliable ways to replicate this bug, since it’s so random and unpredictable. You’ll most likely experience it after spawning the icebreaker (the bug happens particularly often with this ship) and then leaving it several times in my game (Dynamic Ship Simulator III). The problem is that this ship costs several hundred thousand credits, so it’s not accessible if you’re a new player there.

If you’re a Roblox engineer, please message me directly here on the devforum, and I’ll privately send you the entire game file if it’s needed. I can also edit your stats in my game to let you spawn and test the ship from the linked video.

You can download just the ship here seatbugtest.rbxl (598.6 KB), but I couldn’t replicate this bug in that place for some reason.

2 Likes

maybe u got big ping spike
press shift+f3 to check

1 Like

Yes, a ping spike can explain something like this. Seats work based on touch events, so if there is a stray touch event out of order with some other activities in the game it might cause behavior like this. The shift+f3 menu will have lots of stats including stats on touches and general ping, if you can keep that menu up and record another video where you reproduce the issue, that may provide additional clues.

Does the issue ever reproduce when you run DSSIII in roblox studio locally (specifically with start server & start player)? If so, studio may provide some additional insight (for example, you might see the character never leave the seat on the server, even though they have left the seat on the client).

1 Like

Can Roblox fix that? I am having same issue, this never happens to me, unless I am playing on Jailbreak's map, not game. I don’t know what is causing this behavior.

From what I am seeing, is that probably player gets ping spike and then you go back to normal ping, and engine thinks that you are still sitting so, it makes you sit back again there. However, in my case, this happens completely randomly, even tho I never seated on that seat that I was randomly teleported to.

2 Likes

I have realised now that this bug was my fault, it’s not caused by Roblox’s end.

It was caused by a local script which creates rain particle effects. The script spawns a local part with particle emitters and parents that part to player’s character. The position of the part is updated by a loop two times per second, placing it above player’s camera. Sometimes that part touches seats and teleports the player’s character into them. This is the entire reason.

Somehow it took me 4 years (that’s how old the rain script was) to realise that.

Please accept my apologies.

2 Likes

No worries, thank you for posting the update.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.