Players Frequently Appear as "Noobs"

Reproduction Steps

1. Join any game.

Intel Core i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
12.0 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 620

Expected Behavior
I expect to see the avatar that I, and others selected.

Actual Behavior
I see “Noob” avatars.

I know for sure that users are not just spontaneously dressing up this way, because my avatar was also overridden at one point. This happens across all games that I’ve joined. I do not know if this is only affecting me.

This only happens to about 1/2 the players.
This is the 1st time I’ve encountered this issue.

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Very Rarely
Date First Experienced: 2021-08-29 21:08:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-08-29 21:08:00 (-05:00)

17 Likes

Can confirm this happened in some of the games I’m developing. This seems to fix itself when you respawn after a couple of minutes. I’m assuming this is a network related issue, this would make sense because the server would fail to load the character appearance. A console log of this bug would be useful, so next time this happens check the console for any failed network requests.

2 Likes

This is happening everywhere for the past hour. The device does not matter.

1 Like

This has been happening the entire day for me. MarketplaceService is also failing to check if people own assets/gamepasses with Service Unavailable or Internal Service error. Trying to change my avatar just says “Failed to load recent items”

1 Like

Im unable to change my avatar as well, it might have correlation with this

2 Likes

I just want to remind everyone to not rely on http://status.roblox.com/ to be an accurate representation of the site/game/services as it is entirely manual, and may not be updated to be accurate for minutes to hours after an issue first arises, despite the “Updated a few seconds ago” default message it has. (Source: Every time Roblox has this issue, it’s always saying everything is operational for hours on end)

A list of issues you may currently experience:

• Players loading as noobs
  • Library/Catalog pages often giving error 400 when trying to load them
  • General site lag
  • MarketplaceService errors
  • Studio not updating things (Note: I would say a good rule of thumb is to not develop while an outage is happening as you may lose data)
3 Likes

That happened to me yesterday, and now the Avatar Shop is totally glitched.

(NVIDIA made bad software, so just go to the avatar shop. the recommended and search for creators is glitched…)

2 Likes

Our teams were alerted to the issues last night and resolved them a couple hours after the original timestamp of this bug report.

@cpguy5089 I’ll forward the feedback that the status site wasn’t updated to reflect this issue, thanks for letting us know.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.