Players should be able to refund purchases themselves

Hello,

As a Roblox developer, it is hard to try and refund players when they feel as though they’re not getting what they hoped for in a game.
I think adding a refund button in the Purchases tab would help not only developers, but encourage players to purchase something more, because they know that if you don’t like it, they can get a portion of the robux back instead of it being gone forever.

Now, a lot of developers are saying that “developers should have the option to issue refunds”, but I think the players should have the option to get robux back. I think this is a more valuable option, because the player doesn’t have to message the developer to get their robux back. They can just get it back themselves.

Also, if this is approved, then there should be a refund policy for this as well. When players spend robux on something, the robux is held for a certain amount of days before it is given to the developer. With this in mind, players should have the option to get that 70% of robux back before it is cashed in. Once it is cashed in, the refund button goes away in the Purchases tab and it’s up to the developer if he/she wants to give the robux back to them.

Lastly, players should be able to refund everything, EXCEPT Developer Products. I say this, because when players buy things inside of games, the developers give them the reward once the PurchaseGranted goes through. Whenever players buy anything else, it’s easy to just take it out of their inventory, such as shirts, pants, or paid access.
IF players should be able to refund developer products, then there should be a new code in the MarketplaceService so that developers can do whatever they want to the player if a refund was processed (Ex: buying 300 coins. if refunded, then take 300 coins from the player’s coins).
When it comes to game passes, the developers shouldn’t give rewards to a player when it’s bought and use GamePassService:PlayerHasPass() in order to continue giving them what they bought, such as 2x EXP or Speed Boost.

This would make things a lot easier on everyone if refunds were available. I know that there is other things on the roadmap, but try to squeeze this one in there, please :slight_smile: .

Thank you.

16 Likes

Related but subtly different feature requests:

4 Likes

As a developer, I record game-pass ownership in player data to reduce API calls (making the game run faster) and to prevent players from deleting gamepasses and then getting mad that they lost their item; this also makes it harder for “hackers” to damage players.

This feature would significantly harm developers like myself who do the above. I would rather see support for developer-issued refunds, so that we (the developers) have full control.

Some game-passes also offer ‘permanent items’, e.g. the “Elite” game-pass in Murder Mystery will give you an exclusive hat, systems like this would break if the player could refund items at the click of the button.

tl;dr pls no
4 Likes

It’s on and off about Game Passes for me, so it’s really up to ROBLOX if they allow refunds for those. I personally don’t want refunds for Developer products cause of the explanation I listed, but game passes possibly could be the same way.
Giving the developer the option to refund the player is too much, because I have to get online in order to give you your refund when you could just do it yourself, and then think about people who get scammed when they buy paid access and it’s not what they paid for. And about the hackers thing, that would just mean ROBLOX would just have to pump up the protection on accounts. They have already done it with account pins.

1 Like

could do it through api?

My reply was entirely about gamepasses, did you read my post?

You said something about you having certain game passes that you put in their player data to track it and that it should be developer-issued refunds instead of the Player.
I said since you give permanent items through game passes, then maybe it could be like Developer products and they could make a API for it the same way I stated in the post.
If you mean something different, then you should be a little more exact about what you’re saying, because when you say “Developer-issued refunds” , I’m thinking you’re talking about you going to your sales and you pressing the refund button, but now it seems like you’re talking about an API that you could use to issue it, which is definitely what I sided with unless you mean something completely different.

And also with the API, you would code what the refund does, not ROBLOX themselves, if that is what you thought I meant.

Let me be more exact about what I mean about the API. The player would press the refund button in their purchases tab based on the refund policy I stated, and they Would get their robux back. Next time they join the game, then there will be a RefundProccessed thing for the MarketplaceService so that you can code what the refund does in your game.