Playing a sound for 1 player only

Hello and thank you for reading this :slight_smile:

I’m kinda new to scripting and I’ve made a script where when you touch a part a sound plays. However, I’ve noticed that the sound plays for everyone when I just want the sound to play for the player that touched the part.

Here’s the script I have:

local sound = script.Parent.Sound
local play = false

script.Parent.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
	if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") and play == false then
		play = true
		sound:Play()
		wait(1)
		play = false
		sound:Stop()
	end
end)

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how I can accomplish this!

4 Likes

You would have to play the sound locally (so run the sound script in a local script). If you need the rest to be in a server script then you could use a remote event to fire from the server to the local side to have a local script play locally.

3 Likes

You can try to use it.

local sound = Instance.new("Sound")
sound.SoundId = "rbxassetid://ID"

sound.Parent = game.Players.LocalPlayer.PlayerGui
2 Likes

Thanks for the help, could you please give me a simple example of how I would do this? Again, a bit new to scripting, sorry haha

1 Like

I would recommend checking the documentation out. It has examples and may explain it better then me just giving out code.

2 Likes

You would have an object called a “RemoteEvent” in ReplcatedStorage, then have the script say this:

script.Parent.Touched:Connect(function(hit)
	if hit.Parent:FindFirstChild("Humanoid") and play == false then
		play = true
		--this is where im changing the script
        game.ReplicatedStorage.Event:FireClient(hit.Parent.Parent.Name)
        --this is firing it only for one client, the player who touched it
        wait(1)
		play = false
	end
end)

And then in a localscript, have this:

game.ReplicatedStorage.OnClientEvent:Connect(function()
     --im going to assume theres a var called sound
     wait(1)
     sound:Stop()
end)

That should be all, let me know if it works!

10 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much for this response!! Just a question, where would I put the local script? In the part the player touches? Or somewhere else?

Also, in the local script, it’s giving me this error, do I need to add an extra bracket somewhere?
error

1 Like

For your first question, you can really put it anywhere, but the cleanest way to organize your scripts is to put it in CharacterScripts>>PlayerScripts

For your second question: I forgot a bracket, the beginning of your script should look like this:

game.ReplicatedStorage.OnClientEvent:Connect(function()--closed brackets
3 Likes

Ah, got it. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it :DD

2 Likes

No problem! If my solution helped you, then click the solution button under my reply, so people know that this topic is solved!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.