Expected Behavior: The animation plays in game the same as it does the animation editor. (reversed easing bug aside.)
Actual Behavior: Game freezes, starts leaking memory like crazy.
Description: I made an animation for a model holding a sword. For this animation I wanted to hide the sword and was too lazy to hide the sword through code, so I made it disappear by creating keyframes where it is extremely far away (Granted, this is probably really dumb).
This method works just fine in the default animation editor plugin. Little did I know, this animation will cause an unrecoverable hang when played in game. The keyframes I created to hide the sword in particular are the cause.
Recreation Steps: (100% consistent)
- Open the repro place file in Studio.
- Go to the SwordDummy and click it with the Animation Editor open.
- Export the animation named “gamecrasher”. The problematic keyframes are the ones for the “BodyAttach”. Copy the animation ID.
- Place the copied animation ID in the animation object “IWillCrashYourGame”, parented to the script in the dummy. (See picture)
5. Play test the game. ~10 seconds later, Studio will hang.
To make it easier to see, I also have another animation in the dummy called “nocrasher”, which is the exact same animation without the BodyAttach keyframes. Using that animation instead, the game will not crash.
Repro Place File:
t minus 10 seconds to crash.rbxl (50.6 KB)
Example Game: (To show this doesn’t only happen in studio.)
Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Animation
Date First Experienced: 11/26/2021