Please do not spam my notifications

#forum-feedback was just made public. Cool. This has its own issues, but that is not the goal right now.

As someone that frequents this category, I have gotten some likes for my posts, enough to get a badge if the category were public and allowed badges (since you can disable badge-earning on a per-category basis).

I couldn’t care any less about the badges, please disable earning badges/badge notifications before making a category public.

12 Likes

Forum guidelines still says it’s hidden, and if this change is intentional, this needs to be fixed

I might as well point out an issue with opening this category anyway, some users have “leaked” (in quotation marks because they aren’t accurate) the requirements, which will only encourage visitors to game the system since these topics will be visible.

1 Like

This change was unneeded, topics housed in forum feedback are irrelevant to development and not everyone needs to see this category. Features really only benefit forum members, not anyone outside of the forum.

2 Likes

It looks like this happened with cool creations too:

I’ve also gotten badges from this category. This is very annoying. Why do we even have badges? That just encourages people gaming the system.

Edit:

Oh boy. Here they come.

This attemp of “opening the forum to be more welcoming with new members” is driving me crazy. Please revert this change ASAP. Forum feedback is a private category cuz it is to discuss forum issues; that visitors cannot understand.

2 Likes

Alright, “Care less” badge earned. Jokes aside, badges were originally implemented as a way to motivation, as they always brough positive results in the past. The truth is that uncommon and rare badges are sometimes a solid indicator that someone has some experience and shows approximately to what extent they have contributed to the forum.

@sjr04, you are a very valuable member of this forum, so I was surprised to not see a Top Contributor badge :blush:

(edit)

1 Like

I think you misunderstood, in private categories, posting badges like “Great Reply”, “Nice Reply”, etc. cannot be earned since they link to the post that earned the badge, and from the perspective of someone who does not have access to the category the post was made in, it would be weird UX.

#forum-feedback has always been private (trust_level_1+), so no badges were earned. However, since they just made it public, I have earned so many badges and they now are able to link to the posts and everyone can see which post earned it since the category is public, regardless of logged in status, trust level, group access, etc.

The problem is you get notified about this, I could have sworn there was a setting that let you do this, but I’m not going to turn it off since I want to know when I earned a badge. But, how were we supposed to know #forum-feedback was going to become public?

1 Like

There is no longer a lock next to forum feedback, so now this topic is open to the public.

1 Like

I am fully and knowingly aware of that, thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, you are right, I didn’t follow up much on the new update, as I am not only relatively new to this forum, but have been strictly focusing on scripting support, development discussion and engine bugs.

As for badges, I was refering to FxllenCode’s partially-rethorical question

and I couldn’t really tell whether this was of a more general nature or not. Nevertheless, the psychology of badges has always turned out to be successful. They can be fun when used correctly and have a unique impact on person’s level of motivation as well as perception of success, affirmation (depends) and self-complacency, which encourages them to keep going.

Anyways, I understand you concern and hope this gets solved.

I’m not popular enough for that

Interesting that they opened it for all, it’s weird because now there isn’t much incentive to becoming a member since one of the categories was just opened up.

Hey all, apologies for the badge spam, that was an oversight on my part. :grimacing:

Disabled earning badges for this category. #forum-feedback:forum-features and #forum-feedback:forum-bugs were made publicly viewable to allow Discourse staff to view Discourse-related requests/bug reports without needing to log in with a Roblox account.

Updated these guidelines. Thanks for pointing that out.

We do not list the specific requirements for promotion to Member for this reason. It seems more likely anyone trying to achieve these requirements ASAP with a guide are using the many Youtube tutorials on it.

16 Likes

Oh wow I’m laughing so hard right now, I have never seen this LOL. I hope this gets fixed.