Please do not use Roblox's screen recorder for recording videos

When users try to send a little video showing an issue or showing off their creation in action, sometimes what happens is they will send a robloxapp.wmv file which is recorded from studio. This is an issue because it actually needs to be downloaded for us to see it. They don’t embed into the post, and they are always super low quality and “laggy”. This is a bad experience for both the OP and the users trying to help. So I ask that you do not use the built-in recorder. And use something like ShareX.

Using ShareX:

Using the built-in recorder:

robloxapp-20200518-1641382.wmv (544,4 KB)

(You see? You have to download it :frowning:. On my computer it doesn’t look so bad. it might vary from device to device but you can definitely tell that it’s slower/“laggier”)

You can choose where to upload with sharex, but I won’t waste time explaining why this software is good and I will leave that to Kampfkarren’s post and its replies.

19 Likes

Apple’s iMac devices don’t have any good recording programs so they have to use the built-in Roblox recording tools.

Edit: I don’t own a mac because Windows master race so please stop responding to me and bumping this post.

OBS is a free (and cross-platform) recording/streaming application if you need another alternative.

Moreover, the output can be MP4 and embedded on Discourse.

16 Likes

I think OBS is good for long recordings for like a youtube video or for a livestream, not necessarily for a 10-second clip. @Krunnie does bring up a good point about macs not having any good video-recording software for something small. That is why you don’t use a macI am personally a windows user so I won’t be of much help from there :frowning:

Edit: I saw you added

2 Likes

The Roblox screen recorder is an absolute abomination of a recorder. I had to see how many FPS was in one of their videos and it’s like 5 or 10. Not only that but you lag while playing your game. Not only that but, as you detailed in your post, you have to either publish it to YouTube or download. Even when publishing to YouTube, the recorder is still laggier than a 1990s computer trying to run this game.

3 Likes

Oof! I see that a lot in #help-and-feedback. It’s probably even worse for the OP since they have to waste time waiting for the video to finish uploading. I am not sure if youtube videos can be played from within the post kinda like discord, but if it doesn’t then it’s also just as bad experience for the person reading the post.

If you’re on Windows 10, the built-in Game Bar works great. Just press Win+G on any application and the Game Bar UI will pop up.

2 Likes

Just to add on, using the Windows game bar you can record mp4 for those who want a native option for the OS. To insert here just hit the upload button and find the mp4 file you want.

Thank you for the tip! I just removed gyazo from mah computer, and i just learned how to reply videos with ShareX.

About OBS, just no, i have an “bad” device, and using OBS was a mess, the recording is just SLOW, and makes the video have no sense, though i didn’t use MP4.

Actually us epic iMac users have a built in recording software called QuickTime. The roblox screen recorded isn’t even available. Well Atleast for me.

2 Likes

On Windows, press Win + G to get the built in game bar. It can record your screen and then save it in mp4 format.

Be careful about your microphone though.

1 Like

Another solution for Windows users is the Windows Gamebar which can be activated by pressing the Windows button together with G. Make sure you go to settings and then change the video quality to high, otherwise, the video quality is too bad. I have to note it only records the window you were using while you activated the gamebar.

A bit off topic

windows users can press Windows + shift + s to open a screen shot thing where you just select what you want to screenshot

And I would definitely use sharex or OBS, obs is used by a lot of youtubers so you know it’s good.

1 Like

Share-X is open source, will roblox be able to insert there sources for filming within roblox standard recording system? GitHub - ShareX/ShareX: ShareX is a free and open source program that lets you capture or record any area of your screen and share it with a single press of a key. It also allows uploading images, text or other types of files to many supported destinations you can choose from.

1 Like

I use Xbox Game bar to record videos

• easy to open (Windows Key + G)
  • opens really fast
  • records videos and take screenshoots in 2 clicks (or even with key combinations)
  • super high quality
  • comes default in every windows 10 device
  • takes a lot to load in a potato pc :rofl:

Small Features:

• allows you to make streamings (via microsoft mixer)
  • works with every kind of program (including videogames)
  • lets you watch mixer streamings when you play
  • lets you talk with friends during gameplays or using programs
  • customizable UI
2 Likes

actually, microsoft mixer was shut down

No, Its not I still use it, Also he is not talking abt Microsoft Mixer…

Oh, I thought it did shut down

also yes they are

Oh my mistake, I am sorry for responding…