Please have maximum fps based on refresh rate

Decreased performance from 144 Hz monitors is no different from people with lower-quality hardware playing your game. It’s not something that’s your concern – it’s a user setting. Just like you wouldn’t prevent people from raising their screen resolution or graphics level if it cut their FPS in half, you shouldn’t prevent people from using 144 Hz just to increase performance. That’s a call for them to make. Regardless of whether ROBLOX should support 144 Hz, if they do, performance resulting from user settings is not something for you to worry about on your end.

Delta time. We already have it.

I don’t see people who get 20 fps in games slowly walking across the map at 1/3rd the normal walkspeed, so I doubt an increased fps would result in an increased walkspeed. Even if it did, that’s something ROBLOX could tweak.

3 Likes

The thing is that 60/s is ideal for a lot of things to appear smooth or update frequently enough. This is the perfect number. Anything higher is practically useless. Even with delta time that doesn’t stop the code from running over 2x more often. The thing is workload on renderstepped goes down as fps goes down. graphic settings are irrelevant. As fps goes up, renderstepped goes up which is nice, but >60 is pretty pointless in a lot of cases. So we are effectively already catering to low-fps users, but not high-fps users if it was tied to fps. Performance resulting from user setting should be something for me to worry about if I am contributing to the implementation of how this settings affects performance in my game.
Edit: How is this a user choice? VSync itself would cap at 144fps. Any 144hz monitor user would effectively be screwed.

But should ROBLOX go out of its way to break compatibility for such a feature when 60fps is just fine as is?
I would also go on a whim and say younger devs at the time wouldn’t think of using a timestamp. I think compatibility is much more important in this case.

Surely this would mess up intended renderstep usage in many games.

\nosupport

1 Like

Roblox cannot work toward protecting bad code. It is not a winning battle. Holding back features because they might break some games is a one way ticket to never getting anything accomplished. Logically, if a developer cares then they will fix their game. If they don’t care then they won’t be benefiting roblox anyway so breaking their game doesn’t matter.

Bad code is okay because it is accidental? Anyone who has bad code can easily fix it anyway. Just change your *1/60 to a *delta.

Not sure if joking…

5 Likes

That is a myth. 120 Hz is distinguishable from 60 Hz and does a better job at projecting the image. Here’s an article that does a good job at explaining it: http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-video/guide-120-hz-screens-a481.html

if dt >= 1/60 then do stuff else do nothing

1 Like

You misinterpreted me. I understand the use of >60FPS but its useless for renderstepped. 60 times/s does just fine.

I’m not saying bad code is okay. I never said it was. This is a trade off. It doesn’t seem like ROBLOX would benefit much from higher fps in its current state so the sacrifice isn’t worth it. I’m not saying compatibility always takes priority, I just think you need to consider the VALUE. Like PGS is totally worth breaking a few games, >60fps? Not really. Specially since these higher hz monitors aren’t that common inside of ROBLOX I would bet. Maybe the team can do an internal test to see how much of an impact it would make?

If the developer doesn’t care, it can still matter. The players. If a game breaks that people still play, it will make players upset. Isn’t that exactly why compatibility is even a concern for ROBLOX ever? To make them PLAYABLE for the PLAYERS?

That makes sense. As long as this was well-documented on the wiki you’ve solved those issues.

Still, I question whether this feature has enough significance for compatibility. I also hope nothing important in the engine is tied directly to fps.

And as far as the physics fps speedhacking goes, I talked to imaginaerum and he claims to see a direct correlation with that and framerate.

Just add an option in the menu to cap fps.

Then everybody can be happy :smiley:

1 Like

The whole ‘over buff’ refresh rate thing in CSGO I personally think is about as close to placebo as you can possibly get.

The argument some people like 2kliks make is that it means your monitor renders the latest frame - but to me that doesn’t make any sense. Your monitor will be rendering the exact same frame regardless as it outputs at even intervals?

ScriptOn is spot on.

Higher framerates exist for responsiveness rather than the visual. Anything higher than 60fps starts to hit a point of diminishing return when it comes to visual differences. Although a higher refresh rate monitor will allow you to render frames one by one, which isn’t the case with lower refresh rate monitors as screen tearing will make two frames overlap. But yeah, >60fps does increase responsiveness.

How am I?
If nooby devs do something like playing a 2D animation using RenderStepped alone, rather than using a combination of RenderStepped and tick() then the result will be doubly fast playing animations, and in most cases hilariously fast playing animations.

How many people on ROBLOX do you think are aware of using RenderStepped and tick()?

If I had to guess I’d say just about the same number of people who are aware of using renderstepped at all. This is a moot point anyway. Roblox already, in its current state, supports monitors that don’t run at 60 FPS. If your lack of delta time would cause problems at >60 FPS then it is already causing problems for people who are using <60 FPS displays.

3 Likes

Uhhh, what? We are talking about FPS here. F-P-S. Frames per second. This is capped to 60. If your system can push 60 then it will push 60 regardless of your monitor. So no, it absolutely would not cause problems for <60hz monitors. Your monitors refresh rate and your system’s fps act independently unless you use gsync/freesync or vsync. (Since ROBLOX doesn’t depend on vsync for the fps cap, it has no effect)

Renderstepped would only cause issues for system’s that can’t push 60fps which in the case of it being underpowered hardware and not optimization, is unavoidable.

Uncapping or increasing the FPS cap to >60 would cause issues. As games that use it target the optimal experience (60fps) in which would be entirely broken. (The ones that don’t use delta time)

Should we also stop people with <60fps from playing games because that breaks the experience in games that aren’t scripted correctly?

Roblox shouldn’t be catering to bad practices so there shouldn’t be a problem with raising the cap.

1 Like

There is a problem. This is a trade-off that doesn’t seem like its worth it. It has nothing to do about supporting bad code, but the impact it’ll have on games.

And no. 60fps is the optimal experience in ROBLOX so if a player can’t push 60 then obviously they won’t have an optimal experience. The good thing about that is that if the player’s system can do it, the game will consistently stay at 60fps. We have nice consistency here which is why these games. When a player lags, nobody should expect an optimal experience. Consistency is the key. It always tries to aim for 60. Uncapping it would break this. However, upcapping the framerate doesn’t change the number, it increases the range to >=60fps in which only 60fps is catered to and anything higher is will also mess things up even though it still provides an optimal experience. This is an issue. Its funny because even some AAA games have this issue.

The only games it will impact are games with poorly written code.

1 Like

To be fair this would be the majority of games that make use of some per-frame performed action. If the fact that everything is locked at 60 FPS will change then this has to be communicated to developers beforehand probably.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve been told to bump this post as this is a feature I think needs to be implemented because of these reasons:

• Only a minority of games are locked to 60fps on PC (I’m only assuming since I haven’t heard of a game that is locked at 60fps since Dead Rising 3)
  • It improves performance even on 60hz monitors as frame drops are much less impactful
  • The fact that many people nowadays have 144hz+ monitors, I myself have a 240hz monitor and I can tell you that once you experience 144hz and above, 60fps starts looking extremely sluggish in comparison

I also have some other reasons but I can’t think of them right now as it is very late, so if you want, please reply as to why you don’t think having more than 60fps in Roblox is worth it and I’ll try to give you a reason.

1 Like

You were wrong, all flagship smartphones in 2015 had 60hz phone screens.

1 Like

It’s not placebo. It’s definitely there, I’ve spent over 5k hours in CS GO and I could easily tell when my game was running 60fps or 200fps on a 60hz monitor.