Please make the Archivable property more user-friendly

It is currently really easy for an inexperienced user who doesn’t know what Archivable does to disable said property and end up permanently losing work. Additionally, I myself have also accidentally disabled the property a few times (without realizing) and then have to figure a) why is my game broken and b) where did my work go.

I never use it in the explorer myself (only in scripts, and that is only when I do use it, which isn’t often), and from the people I have asked they don’t either. This property is useless for most people, and it seems to serve mostly as an alternative (accidental) delete button.

I would like to request that this property should be hidden in the explorer or that we should be notified when we disable it so we know exactly what it does (for the less experienced developers) and so we don’t accidentally delete objects.

28 Likes

I accidentally clicked it just the other day, but noticed it and re-checked right away

Doesn’t help that it’s (sometimes) tucked between 2 commonly used properties, one of which has an almost identical name!

8 Likes

I support this! Even if not hiding the button in the properties frame, a warning for something like this definitely seems like something that should’ve already been implemented by now. I’ve been making games on Roblox since 2012 and still have yet to find a use for this property in ANYTHING that I’ve ever created. This property does much more harm than it does good, especially to new creators who have no clue what it does.

5 Likes

The primary use case is tooling if you’re interested: If plugins want to make temporary parts and other content as part of their operation then they can mark the content Archivable = false so that it won’t get saved along with the place if the user saves or the game autosaves in the middle of the operation.

That said, I do think there isn’t any realistic reason to have it show up in the properties window.

11 Likes