Please merge all the values into one Class!

Currently, you need to make a workaround if you wish to find multiple values. Which is very inconvenient.

The image below shows two values that are an immediate child of ‘Instance’. There’s more roaming about down that list. (If it cropped, click on the image to enlarge it)

If you look at Gui’s for example; they’re globally called GuiObject whereas buttons are called GuiButtons and labels called GuiLabels inside GuiBase2d.

Why is this not the case for Values? Right now they’re lying around all over the place. I think it’d be nice to have those organized in Classes just like the Gui’s are :smiley:

The reason why I’m suggesting this is because when I script, I always face the same issue when it comes to Values: How can I retrieve multiple values’ data (e.g String- and NumberValues), without having to create a workaround (e.g a loop, using tables, etc.)?

This idea should make things easier. Instead of looping through all the separate values, you can just use the Class “Values” for example.

Before you want to tell me to read already existing posts, please read the comment I made when I was told the first time:

There’s no reason to remind me for something I already understood.

6 Likes

I’ve seen this suggested at least 2 other times, you should try to use the search feature before posting feature requests.

Apologies. It didn’t show it at the preview that it already existed; probably not reliable enough.

I’ll do that next time.

I feel you man. I’m going to try and get this fixed.

24 Likes

You’d think all these <Type>Value objects would all share a common superclass (other than Instance), but apparently they don’t *shrug*

3 Likes

Would be great if number type values shared a unique superclass. For example:

• <Value Object Superclass>
    • <Number Value Superclass>
      • IntValue
      • NumberValue
      • Any potential future number type value objects (there are others I think, but I believe they got deprecated. Guess they would be in here too, regardless of that)
    • StringValue
    • BoolValue
    • Etc.

This way in any situation where all you need is a number and it doesn’t rely on it being an IntValue or NumberValue specifically, you can check for the superclass of all number type value objects.

2 Likes

There’s been a lot of requests for this

Yes, but it never happened. A little reminder every now and then shouldn’t be bad :smiley:
This topic is solved, though. Mister CloneTrooper1019 is on it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Then just respond to one of the existing ones why you think this should be a thing. It’ll bring it right back up.

This thing has already been answered in this post.

I already understood, and will seek next time. Please, don’t bring it up again. It’s useless.

IT’S HAPPENING

Added Class ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class BinaryStringValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class BoolValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class BrickColorValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class CFrameValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class Color3Value to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class DoubleConstrainedValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class IntConstrainedValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class IntValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class NumberValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class ObjectValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class RayValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class StringValue to ValueBase
Changed the Superclass of Class Vector3Value to ValueBase
15 Likes

Now live!
https://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/ValueBase

20 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.