Please Moderate the Forum Better!

This forum has devolved into a spamming of memes and low quality topics. Heck, if you open development discussion you have to scroll down a lot to see anything that is worth discussing and is not a meme topic! In cool creations people post 10 second creations and those get tons of likes and comments, while actual high effort creations are left in the dirt! I think that the forum should put stricter moderation actions on these spam topics and add a more difficult way of getting into the forum. I’m not sure how hard this is to implement, but all I’m saying is the forum is a total hellhole right now and it needs to be fixed.

12 Likes

The moderators are already put under a large amount of stress. Forcing moderation would only lead to worse moderation and a furious community. The moderators are trying their best, so it’s not ideal to push them past their limits. Remember that they are people too, they have other things to do.

Roblox already scrapped the invite-only approach. Bringing a new system that makes it harder to join the devforum into play would essentially cause the same product that roblox purposely avoided. Flags are already a thing. If you see a topic/post not following the rules, simply flag it.

2 Likes

I mean, they catch these people and give them a warning. What I am saying is the warning should be more severe, a strike that actualy goes on your record.

1 Like

It’s not favourable to suggest that stricter punishments should be given for such things. A warning is a warning. The point of them is that users will get feedback and hopefully learn from their actions.

Also, this whole notion of ‘stricter moderation’ is enforced by ‘stricter punishments’ is wrong. Stricter punishments aren’t effective. A lot of users on the forum are capable of rational thinking. Most people know that in general the worse the violation, the stricter the consequence.

These ‘users’ simply don’t care about forum rules or may not be aware of their actions. You could go out of your way to post a meme (knowing that expected outcome is feedback). And, you would probably weigh in the action and whether or not the outcome is going to be beneficial or costly to you. ‘Posting memes’ gets you likes because who doesn’t like memes, etc.

You’re probably thinking exactly! stricter punishments means the outcome is going to be costly for the user. Well that’s not how it works. There are so many factors that influence how we rationally think. Make the punishment as strict as you want as I’ll still choose to do it, because of ‘x’, ‘y’ and ‘z’.

Let’s suppose a child was deciding whether to steal money from a family piggy bank (LOL). Doesn’t the child first calculate whether they’ll get caught, and if he believes it’s very unlikely, he’ll get caught, he then steals the money? Notice how this sort of reasoning implies that it doesn’t matter how bad or good the outcome is. Likewise, this sort of behaviour isn’t dependent on the severity of the consequence, whether It’s feedback or a strike.

4 Likes

You can’t moderate a forum “better” with the same amount of manpower unless people act differently(or you lessen the amount of people).
I agree though

2 Likes

Biggest problem here being the fact that people KEEP BUMPING these topics and not showing actual topics.

1 Like

A warning is fine the way it is. Plus the form is moderated by humans, and not bots.

Plus, first time offenders only need a warning, a strike is to excessive for stuff like this.

2 Likes

Yup. If moderation is too difficult, then limit membership and enable community post approval. It’s not hard to fix.