Plug ins to flip decals?

I am making a piece of paper with a decal for the blue lines, but I encountered an issue with the decal flipping after I unioned some holes into the side. Is there any way I can rotate decals but not the actual part? Any plug ins?

Here’s a picture of the paper:

2 Likes

This plugin rotates the material, but I’m not sure if it works on a texture

6 Likes

Hey ComplexStud. I haven’t run into this situation too much but I might be able to help in some ways.

Highlight the decal and rotate it from there?

If that works, the whole problem is solved. Just simply highlight the decal by viewing the child of that part.

Make a new part?

Try making another part an uniting the block before adding the decal. This is something I use with TextLabels on parts: once I added the TextLabel and it was on the wrong side, I’d resize the part and rotate it. Now, you can’t resize the part that easy because this is a union. I know this model stretcher plugin to stretch on an axis, but I can’t find the link and it may be for grouped objects instead of unions.

Before making the new part…

Do not duplicate the old part, the decal will already be there.

Reversing the direction of the part

What I’m saying here is kind of complicated. Follow these steps and it may work:

1. Create a new part
  2. Insert the decal ID the same way you wouldn’t like the decal to be inserted (like the union)
  3. Union that and it may flip the decal to where you want?
    I just made those steps up in my head, it may not work.

Disclaimer
I’m currently not in the Studio, and this information can be from past experience. My suggestions may not work.

Plugins
As far as I am aware, there isn’t a plugin for this, although I may be wrong.

Remember, some of what I am telling may not work!

Edit

The plugin Nosniy suggested may work. Go ahead and try using it!

Edit 2:

once I added the TextLabel and it was on the wrong size

I meant to say

once I added the TextLabel and it was on the wrong side

You can change the size of the TextLabel

4 Likes

The Decals

There are no plugins to rotate surfaces yet. Did you make sure to select the parts in a particular order to union? To maintain the same surfaces, select the main part last or first. I forgot the behavior.

This doesn’t mean that you can’t create a plugin for it, it’s just really a hassle trying to write a bunch of CFrame maths,

There have been previous suggestion to add a rotation property for decals: Texture/Decal Rotation Feature

It’s an union. MaterialFlip doesn’t work on it. On side notes, are the holes removing parts of the decal? If they do, overlaying a decal on top would not give the same result as having the decal applied on the union.

An alternative would be an edited version of the decal, which is a hassle, considering how many uploads of decals that will appear in your inventory.

4 Likes

Thank you! I decided that it was stupid of me not to think of using another part for the decal. I often times do that with text labels as well. I’ll do that now.

1 Like

Just a hint while you do that: make sure the other part with decal has a transparency of 1 and is submerged in the other part, only showing the decal (if you have two parts, one for the “paper holder”, the other for the decal.) Glad I helped. :blush:

2 Likes