Plugin development -hooks+callbacks for play mode/test mode/publish/saved

As a roblox plugin developer it is currently impossible to build plugins that do helpful last-second manipulations of your scene, like bake processes.

Right now plugins cannot tell when the user goes to save/publish/play/test.

Fixing this would open up a whole new class of plugins! Right now certain workflows are very fragile, because users have to “remember to make these changes to your scene before you publish”.

An easy example: a plugin that correctly moves all of your scene models into ServerStorage, even if they were currently sitting in the workspace for you to work on it.

If we had a hook, we could detect when the user is saving, playing or publishing, and make sure the workspace is always set up correctly.

16 Likes

I suggested this a while ago asking Roblox to open up some of the builtin plugin hooks around saving

This would be useful and its good to know I’m not the only one who wants it, as I can either remove stuff left around by my plugin or add stuff that only needs to be there when it’s saved

Play mode entry/exit detection could be possible if Roblox reopened up the functionality for plugins to cross-communicate across DMs which I suggested a month or two ago

4 Likes