[Plugin] Introducing Keybind Util [Opensource]

Introducing Keybind Util!

Icon

Plugin

Purpose

KeybindUtil (with its current features) is mainly geared towards builders and modelers.
Its purpose is to provide extra keybinds to Roblox Studio while remaining as unseen as possible – Which means no GUIs or anything of that sort to clutter your screen!

YOU NEED TO SET YOUR OWN KEYBINDS!
To do this, you must simply navigate to File > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts... and search the feature name
The plugin is still in development, so if you have any nice shortcuts you’d like to be implemented, then feel free to suggest them!

Features

Summary

Feature (Recommended Keybind)

Copy Material & Color (Ctrl + Alt + C)

When you have one Part / MeshPart / Union selected, it will copy the Object’s Material, Color, Reflectance, and Transparency to a built-in clipboard.

Paste Material & Color (Ctrl + Alt + V)

If you have info saved to your clipboard, it will paste the M, C, R, & T to the selected object and its descendants.

Group Folder (Ctrl + Alt + F)

Takes your currently selected items and groups them into a folder.
If all selected objects share the same parent, then the folder will be a child of their shared parent.
Otherwise, the folder will be a child of workspace

Ungroup Folder (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F)

Will ungroup each of the selected folders.
For each folder, the children’s parent will be set to the parent of the folder.

Select Descendants (Ctrl + Alt + A)

Will select the descendants of the parent of the object your mouse is hovering over
You can also assign a keybind (such as Ctrl + Alt + Shift + A) to allow you to append the previous selection to the current selection!

Select Descendant Parts (Ctrl + Alt + S)

Exactly like the ‘Select Descendants’ but will only select the Parts, Meshes, and Unions.
Especially useful to use as a part counter!
Also has an append function, like ‘Select Descendants’.

Toggle Decomposition Geometry (Ctrl + Alt + D)

Especially useful for Unions and Meshes, use this keybind to be able to see their hitboxes
Full credit to @CloneTrooper1019 for the existence of this one. If it wasn’t for his plugin, Show Decomposition Geometry, I’d have had no idea on how to implement this feature…

Parent to Workspace (Ctrl + Alt + W)

You know how you sometimes want to just parent something to workspace without having to scroll allllllll the way up to the top of the explorer? Well, this keybind allows you to parent whatever you have selected to workspace!

Parent to Last Selected Object (Ctrl + Alt + E)

I’ve noticed that when working, I would really like to parent a bunch of stuff to the same place, but I often have to go scrolling through the explorer to find that final thing. Well now, you can just select it and use the keybind! No more having to click the parent property and then the intended parent.

Anchor Descendants (Ctrl + Alt + L)

You know that moment when you’ve finished building something, and then realize that most of the parts are not anchored? Fret no more! This functionality anchors all of the descendants of the objects you have selected.

Insert Script / LocalScript / ModuleScript
(Ctrl + N) / (Ctrl + Alt + N) / (Ctrl + B)

Not only does this insert a script at just a keybind, but this also formats it to encourage better code structure!

Script Format ) - Imgur

(And lets be honest here, how many people use Ctrl + N to open a new session of studio on a regular basis?)

Invert Selection (Ctrl + I)

This function inverts the selections within a model.

Example:

Before Keybind
After keybind

Supports Undo / Redo

'Nuff said

Set Your Own Keybinds

You can set your own keybinds by going to File > Advanced > Customize Shortcuts...
Simply search up the feature, and it should be listed there!

Now Open-Sourced!

The source code for KeybindUtil has been uploaded to GitHub!
While the plugin does not get its code from GitHub directly, what you see on GitHub will pretty much match what you see in the actual plugin’s sourcecode!
Source can be viewed here:

Just a little plugin that made my life a little bit easier (and will probably continue to do so in the near future).

Thanks for your time :raised_hands:

14 Likes

Hey gang,
Just to clarify, I’m still around and still doing development (though I haven’t been posting in DevForum as much).

If you have suggestions for changes you’d like to see, feel free to recommend them!

It’s wild that it’s been more than four years since I released this plugin, time sure does fly!