Plugin Reloading (Not related to Plugin Debugging)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to reload plugins installed from the website.
If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would not have to restart studio and lose my change history to install a plugin not listed in the marketplace.

Currently, if installing a plugin from the website, a new instance of studio is launched to install the plugin, and existing studio instances don’t properly load/reload plugins. First of all, the fact that a whole new instance of studio is opened and shown is already annoying, only the plugin installed confirmation GUI should be shown, no start page should open up, and the new instance should close down when the confirmation button is pressed.

Second of all, plugins should automatically be reloaded by all open studio instances when a plugin is installed (or at the very least, a way to manually reload plugins should be added)

Installing plugins when I’m midway through a project and I’ve decided said plugin would be super helpful is usually extremely annoying in my opinion, especially because reloading studio also clears your change history, thus, you both have to save the place you’re working on and you can’t undo prior changes if you need to.

2 Likes

Further, often other users’ plugins have bugs and are not as robust as I would like. I don’t want to have to reopen my game because I broke a plugin I’m actively trying to use. Reloading plugins might give me a chance to recover without reopening the game.

4 Likes