Plugins With Same Name Select Simultaneously

A minor bug. Basically, clicking one of two plugins with non-unique names will make them both be selected. The one actually selected first will be the one that’s active with UI and tools, while the other one doesn’t act selected. Selecting the second plugin while the first is active still works, as does deselecting.

In my tests, nothing changes in functionality, just that Studio thinks both plugins are the same as far as showing which is selected. But they both select when either is clicked, like the picture below. Both plugins are named “Curve.”

PluginSelection

4 Likes

Can you provide repro plugins? From this description, it seems like a minor issue.

It is definitely a minor issue, certainly far from game breaking. But I thought I’d report it anyways.

As for the plugins, one is public, but the other is private and project specific.

@buildthomas suggested I make the thread regardless, especially since he was the one who made the private plugin. When I talked to him about it he mentioned it may be due to it being a non-unique identifier between the two if I remember correctly.

I won’t be offended if you delete the thread for being so minor haha :sunglasses:

Minor issues are the most annoying ones, we add the to the bug list anyways, they just take longer to resolve.

I’m assuming both plugins are published? I tried having two identically named plugins installed, but didn’t see this issue. What call/ui element is the trigger for this?

We created a plugin that lets us load in scripts that are locally stored in the place file as if they were plugins, without having to publish these. This is because we can’t publish these plugins for confidentiality reasons for this particular game.

One of the plugins in OP is a building plugin that should be published, I think @Aotrou will have the link for that one. The other one is one of the locally loaded plugins described above. It creates a toolbar with a different name from the other plugin, yet the button’s name is “Curve”, which overlaps with the building plugin’s “Curve” button. The name of the plugin nor the name of the toolbar matter – what matters is the name of the button (appears under the icon in the plugin’s toolbar).

I will attempt to create a minimal repro for this that is easier to run whenever I get some time to do so.

4 Likes

@Silent137 This is actually quite an annoying issue; they pushed a localization update yesterday which added a plugin with buttons “Import” and “Export” and it overlaps with buttons in other plugins I use that are critical to my workflow. Since the localization plugin usually has its buttons disabled, I get this issue where I cannot use another plugin:

Plugins used:

(EDIT: we changed the button name in the second plugin since I need to work, but just create a plugin that makes a similar “Import” button and you can see the behaviour)

Sure I can edit the plugin to use a different button name, but I don’t want to fork/individually disable/enable every plugin I want to use that happens to have an overlapping button name.

1 Like

I’m unsure what you’re using to select this button. It seems to work fine for me when I create a new one named Import. Can you create a plugin that repros this for you that just adds a button to a toolbar?

Edit: Alright, I can repro what I believe to be the problem. I’ll add this to our bug list.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.