Polls aren't discussions

Recently I’ve seen an uptick on shitposting in development discussion, especially with polls. If a discussion has a poll in it, not only does it look tacky and is a waste of space, it also defeats the point of a discussion.

Discussion involves replying and discussing, not polling; discussion isn’t help and feedback, it’s not a place to get numerical data about what people think. Polls should be banned from development discussion (except for roblox-surveys)

19 Likes

Devils’s advocate: polls are fun, they encourage participation in a thread and help a poster crystallise their opinion/position before they argue it.

2 Likes

So you admit polls in #development-discussion are bad? :thinking: From my perspective they only add unnecessary clutter.

Correlation != causation, just because a topic with a poll has replies doesn’t mean the poll encouraged participation.

Getting lots of quantitative opinions en massé is not what dev discussion is for.

1 Like

Maybe participation was not quite the right word. ‘Interaction’ might have been better.

Clicking a poll certainly counts as interacting with a discussion. Clearly thread posters believe including polls encourage people to enter their threads and get reading, if not discussing.

2 Likes

I don’t think Polls should be restricted. Just poll-only.

2 Likes

they are trying to collect opinion there there’s nothing wrong honestly what u r doing here is shotposting
edit: i hope im allowed to say the word i said in the previous line cuz uk

So reply with it. With replying you can state your thoughts on something much clearer rather than it being tied to very specific wording. Most of the polls I see nowadays are biased and only allow for positive opinions in favor of the OP’s opinion or neutral responses.

I don’t think polls should be 100% removed though. Quotes don’t count towards the character count of a post but it doesn’t look like polls have the same issue. Perhaps this is Discourse Meta time.

1 Like

if they dont agree j reply to it plus u dont get % for replies like imagine wasting ur time counting

That’s not what dev discussion is for. Collecting opinions is meant for help and feedback or Roblox surveys. Development Discussion is for discussing not for polling or surveying.

2 Likes

ok so say i wanna discuss if ppl feel that sims are good or bad (j an example there already way too many of these) and so to collect opinion i put up a poll then tell me how is this not related to discussing plus the help or feedback is not for these kinda things if they are asking for logo opinions,etc. then i agree with u but if its something related to overall game dev then they are in right category

Sounds more like a general Roblox talk than discussing the art of making things.

this is related to devolopment only say i wanted to make a simulator and so am asking this either way it comes under dev discussion

A poll would only let others say yes or no. But why should you/should you not.

It is not substantial enough to be such a discussion when the only possible replies are yes or no.

Discussions should be much more open-ended than that.

1 Like

u can say whatever u want as long as its related to topic and follows the guidelines: am i a joke to u

as i have said, if the only possible replies are yes or no that is not discussion, people who don’t like sims will say no, people who do will say yes, but where is a third option? or a fourth? fifth?

Topics like “what is your development workflow” are 100% valid, there are a couple on this already. The replies are able to be open-ended as there are many workflows.

1 Like

say if they are like im ok-ok with them they can j reply to it thats the feature exists pls read other ppl’s replies next time

u see what i mean over here ppl can talk about the other options in that

No offence or anything, but this thought of having to reply to topics is complete crap. Sure this is true to an extent, but no should be forced to reply. Polls provide the OP with data and is reasonable in case scenarios where you are weighing multiple sides. If anyone feels the need to elaborate on an opinion they chose, they can do so, but restricting polls is simply not going to do any good. It gives people a voice, who aren’t willing to articulate their opinions within the thread itself. Of course, a majority are biased and don’t provide options that should probably be there, but there can measures such as informing OP to reconsider it. If not, there’s not much that can be done about that.

It shouldn’t be removed from #development-discussion, because you’re annoyed that ‘x’ amount is crap.

1 Like

That defeats the purpose of discussion, if you aren’t replying its not a discussion and belongs somewhere else. If you want to be involved in the discussion, you have to reply.

Polls CAN start a discussion, but the poll itself is pointless, just the question the poll is asking.

1 Like

I said forced. Who is to say you can or cant reply is up to you. Hey, wait a minute, what If no one replied and I had no poll? No one is here to force you to reply; your choice entirely. Doesn’t defeat the purpose of a discussion, not everyone is willing to contribute.