Polygonal (circular) "progress bar"

(I guess this is somewhat “cool”?)

I started messing around a while ago with some UI design and I needed some “circular progress bar”, I lacked any knowledge of existing software to make ‘sprite sheets’ for this thus I started messing around in Love2D. The progress bars don’t have the best resolution due to being limited to 1024x1024 (?) decals on ROBLOX at the moment (and the method needs minor editing in order to upload this to the site). I modified the code later onward to work with “polygons” and images (such as logo’s) with a somewhat dirty hack. But today I finally remembered to upload this to the public! Below you can find a somewhat copy-paste from the GitHub page I setup. (Code syntax will be fixed as soon as I fix git on my local machine…)

(Improvements will follow soon™)

Usage

The usage is fairly simple, download the latest Love2D, extract the downloaded ZIP somewhere in a folder (eg ‘Love2D’ on your Desktop), create a shortcut on eg your Desktop to Desktop/love.exe. After this you need to download this repository, put this in a folder on eg your Desktop and then drag the folder onto the shortcut to Desktop/love.exe. Now check %APPDATA%/LOVE/CircleSpritesheet in File Explorer (on Windows) for the generated sprite sheet image, lua sprite sheet info file, and json sprite sheet info file.

Configuration

Inside the love.load( ) function you will be able to find some parameters you can modify to your liking.

• intShapes, the amount of shapes you want to generate, please take something that has a round square root (so generally speaking anything that is a second power). This requirement might be removed or tweaked later.
  • intPadding, the amount of space between each image/polygon. intPadding + intDiameter = tileSize
  • arrPolygon a table consisting 2 integers intDiameter and intThickness (should be self explanatory).
  • intPolygonSegments is the amount of “segments” used to draw the polygons, it is advised to set this higher than 3 and lower than math.huge( ). I often use 360 for the best resulsts.
  • intInnerPolygonSegments usually the same as intPolygonSegments, will be deprecated in future releases.
  • boolImage if this is TRUE then the script will check for an image named logo.png inside the folder where the main.lua script is located. This image will then be used as a base/shape instead of making polygons.
  • intAspectModifier this integer can be set up “upscale” the result. Keep in mind that this modifier will multiply to the default 1024x1024 so an intAspectModifier of 2 makes the end result 2048x2048. This can be used to get slightly better results if editing afterwards. Note that the generated config files will follow this value and are not automatically scaled down to 1024x1024. You may need to tweak their values after uploading to Roblox.

Notes

This supports transparent backgrounds and transparent images. The generated images will have transparent backgrounds, and image transparency will show.

This uses anti-aliasing to keep edges smooth, but the end result will stay “pixelated” because we are limited to 1024x1024 images on ROBLOX.

The following examples are using an image with the dimension of 1024x1024, most images that are bigger than this will be down scaled to this.

ROBLOX Example

Works with both image mode and polygon mode

--[[ Insert this in a LocalScript in an ImageLabel/ImageButton. Insert ConfigReader into the LocalScript as a ModuleScript. ]]--
--[[ Touch this ]]--
local ConfigReader				=	require(script.ConfigReader) ;

local config					=	{diameter=120,padding=4,count=64,size=1024} ; -- The generated lua export file contents

--[[ Do not touch this ]]--
local intCurrent				=	0 ;
local vec2New					=	Vector2.new ;

script.Parent.ImageRectSize		=	vec2New( ConfigReader.GetSize( config ) ) ;

while ( wait( .1 ) ) do
script.Parent.ImageRectOffset	=	vec2New( ConfigReader.GetOffset( config, intCurrent ) ) ;
intCurrent 						=	intCurrent + 1 ;
end

Random examples

The gifs are not the best quality…
Circular with spinning

The sourcecode can be found on GitHub. FYI: it’s in Lua

Edits:

• Fixed some wrong example code although the comments contained the correct sample/information.
  • (Hopefully correctly) updated the thread to reflect the changes that were made on the GitHub repo (much thanks to @Corecii for making this a lot more user friendly + some great additions!).
54 Likes

Where did you find the first example? Really looking forward to do that one, but I can’t find a way to do it.

It seems like it simply rotating the image while the progress bar is running.

Thanks! Didn’t think of that method.

Yo, I really like what you’ve made, but as I was following the steps, I kind of got lost at when you said:

Could you please explain that part again, especially about the repository, I don’t know what that specifically is or where to find it? Thanks!
(sorry for the bump)

and also the version difference… because directly injecting it will result in error as argument #3 should be a object instead of […]