Possible overheating issue on studio with my laptop, trying to figure out the cause of it

Due to a (moderately) recent surgical operation I often have to stay in bed, and I tend to develop on my laptop since it occasionally gets too painful to work on my computer.
However, twice now I’ve had an issue where I put my laptop to sleep with Studio still open (please do not do this in general, save and shut down instead) and wake up to my laptop being far, far hotter than it has any right to be (roughly 95-105c cpu temp before core temp catches it and shuts down).

I don’t really know if I should report this as a bug yet as I have no real way to reproduce it, it doesn’t occur on my PC and it’s very likely specific to this laptop’s configuration (both described below) and I don’t really want to risk damaging its CPU. I’m posting here to see if anyone else has had this issue before as I haven’t really seen anything like this mentioned anywhere.

Laptop specs:
Model: MSI Katana GF66 12UC
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12450H
Memory: 8GB @ 3200MHz SODIMM (wmic memorychip returned unknown memorytype, likely ddr5)
Disk 0: SAMSUNG MZVL4512HBLU-00BTW (who names these things anyway)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU

PC specs (not affected):
Model: Gigabyte B560M DS3H AC
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
Memory: 16GB @ 2400MHz DIMM (same issue trying to figure out the memory type)
Disk 0: KINGSTON SNVS500G
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 Like

I have been getting this as well, I’m running on a MSI Thin GF63 (i7-11800H & 3050 Laptop) and whenever I open up Roblox Studio, my temperatures sky rocket to 90°C (normally idles around 55°C to 60°C). The second I close Roblox Studio, the temperatures dive into 60°C to 65°C back. This is really weird considering I can run high-demanding games (e.g. Rust and Hunt: Showdown).

This only happens with Roblox Studio open, Roblox Player is fine.

Have you found a way to fix this?

If so, please hit me on Discord: “fy.my”
Much appreciated. :pray:

i’m still having this issue as well, nothing’s really changed since then and i’m still getting pretty bad temperatures on studio

I might have or might have not fixed this, but it doesn’t reach 90°C to 95°C at all now. Intel’s Turbo Boost technology (or CPU just increasing its clock speed for whatever reason) can double the clock speed (frequency). In my case it was taking from a base speed of 2.2 GHz to 4.6 GHz, and with Roblox open, it just goes above 4 GHz. As we are on a laptop, our thermal cooling ability worsens as the clock speed increases as we’re relying on copper pipes and a fan attached to it (I think you have two fans, I only got one). Desktop computers can dissipate this heat very well as they are designed to have a lot of cooling. Laptops suck as heat dissipation though (unless you’re on HP Omen Transcend 14, that laptop’s cooling is just black magic), so when, for some reason, CPU decides to increase its clock speed above what it should be like, the temperatures go crazy.

Now, you can undervolt if you want to, but my approach is better (hopefully). What I did was tweak a secret setting in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings => Change advanced power settings.

I basically set the maximum processor frequency of my laptop to 3.65 GHz, it can’t go above that anymore. This is not optimal for gaming as your laptop can be running on higher fan speeds and overclock itself while your fans are spinning like crazy. However, I don’t like having a jet turbo in the back of my laptop whenever I launch a baseplate in Roblox Studio.

You probably won’t find Maximum Processor Frequency available in the Advanced Settings tab. A quick Google search will help you with that though (it’s a command that starts with: powercfg -attributes, but I believe I cannot give you the exact command because DevForum moderators might not like it).

Results (on 19 Chrome tabs open + Roblox Studio + Discord and other development tools):

Beautiful, isn’t it?.

1 Like

this is an amazing solution that i’ve never seen mentioned anywhere, thanks so much for the info

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.