Post-processing effects

Wrong thread though? Unless that’s all in-engine but I doubt it :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

What about us with 4k screens? :cry:

Separate thread maybe?

I have another 4k in my documents.

That is hot <3

This change is live:

• AlwaysOnTop SurfaceGui objects are not affected by post effects to match AlwaysOnTop BillboardGui and ScreenGui objects in behavior

We’re aware of three issues that aren’t fixed yet:

• Bloom affects UI which results in issues with chat bubbles
  • In some cases you can see single-pixel white halo around objects on quality 10
  • Handles, SelectionBox and other semi-transparent adornables have a slight glow when Neon parts are visible
8 Likes

Along the same lines, I’d love to get the ability to control which cameras render to which area of which players’ screen. In addition, it would be useful to control which post-processing effects apply to each individual camera. Possibly also a camera view texture or some similar object to place in game. This could open up the possibility for all kinds of unique views or ui designs.

This can all be done manually.

You can put the effects into the camera object and change the current camera to the one you need.

There can be only one camera active at the same time - it’s not easy for us to apply different effects or effects with different settings to different parts of the screen.

Several small fixes are live:

• Improve the quality of Blur, Neon and Bloom at small filter sizes
  • Reduce neon/bloom flickering for thin and bright parts
  • Fix sun shaft rendering in VR
  • Fix neon behavior if BloomEffect.Size = 0
  • Fix sun rays going through distant objects
7 Likes

In case you weren’t aware of this bug, AA renders weirdly against a neon background.

AANeonBug.png

1 Like

Is this new since this release or not? Can you post a model with a repro?

I am fairly certain that it’s happened since AA was released. But it’s more apparent on smaller parts/meshes, though not specific to. I’d like to note I am also using a few of the new pixel shaders as shown in the file below.

Here’s the model:

AABugRepro.rbxl (212.0 KB)

Would appreciate people not taking credit for it by making it a model under their name.

Can confirm with latest version of studio.
blob.png

Ok, gotcha - thanks! Looks like the ambient occlusion bug (we apply AO to neon parts which should not happen, and you have a variant of the same issue for AO but exaggerated due to glow).

1 Like

List of currently known issues:

• Bloom affects UI which results in issues with chat bubbles
  • In some cases you can see single-pixel white halo around objects on quality 10
  • Handles, SelectionBox and other semi-transparent adornables have a slight glow when Neon parts are visible
  • In some cases you can see single-pixel halo on neon objects on quality 10

I have fixes for the last two issues; we’ll ship them soon-ish (in ~2 weeks).

2 Likes

Not going to lie, I am a fan of the Adornables having glows. Any possibility this could become a feature?

2 Likes

Yeah. @zeuxcg it seems very fitting having the ArcHandles glow a bit. I really like it, especially against dark background or in a distance or amongst similar-colored bricks or any handful of scenarios.

1 Like

But they don’t really glow all the time. And when they do it’s entirely by accident :slight_smile: We currently don’t have a good mechanism to actually make it work properly - I’ll just fix it for now.

2 Likes

How much performance does the blur effect even take? I don’t see how it could be that much of a performance killer but correct me if I’m wrong… I wish it was something that you could see on all levels of graphics so that it could actually be of some use in transitions, etc. in which seeing the blur is crucial. Or at least have some other method of blurring the screen (other than using a neon part) or even a frame like mentioned earlier that blurs a specific part of the screen while not affecting performance.