Potions UI thoughts?

Few notes to point out first:

• Each potion will have their own icon (I just found a placeholder on Google Images for now)
  • The yellow and green buttons are basically 2 different ways for a player to purchase the potions
  • There are a total of 6 potions planned
  • I really don’t want to use Dev Products (trying to keep the game as free to play as possible (gold and gems can be purchased through dev products)

I’m not sure how I feel about this atm. I don’t want to resize the backing frame as I want a ‘uniform’ shop with everything looking clean. Thought about changing it to a ScrollingFrame too, as these items will work like dev products in a sense. You buy them and they are active for say 1 hour, so I’d need somewhere to put the ‘Active’ timer, as well as a description to say what each potion does, which trying to fit all that on what I currently have would be a nightmare. So anyone got thoughts on changing to a ScrollingFrame? And thoughts if I should just make these Dev products?

5 Likes

Yea, I would change it to a scrolling frame and make each potion frame a long rectangle across the entire back frame. That should give you enough space to fit the icon, name, description, active label, and buy buttons. Something like this:

3 Likes

Made these updates :+1: still not sure how I’m feeling about the 2 options for purchasing it though :confused: seems strange, might end up moving to a Dev product, or just 1 payment option

3 Likes

You should leave the two currencies in. It allows you to award one for ingame endeavours while the other can be a paid currency. Also, my suggestion for the UI is maybe get a unique icon for each type of potion (so maybe a red potion or green potion). It’d help people identify items and make them stand out. (Use bright colours :D)

1 Like

Well I mean, both currencies can be earned for free (gems are ‘premium’ but they can still be earned in lower numbers for free. The potion atm is a template, I mentioned in the OP that each one would have it’s own potion :+1:

1 Like

Oh! Decent. I probably misread a bit of the OP :joy:

That sounds like a good idea to keep the currency that way. Good luck with ur game. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could also free up a lot of space by doing this:

When the potion is inactive

1. Show buy buttons
  2. Hide timer

When the potion is active

1. Hide buy buttons
  2. Show timer

Theres really no reason to have both of them at the same time. Besides, you don’t want players to buy the same potion again while its already active.

1 Like

Yea, I was thinking of doing that :sweat_smile: almost guaranteed to have a player buy it multiple times and complain they aren’t getting x10 Damage or whatever :sweat_smile:

Just want to show the idea :smiley: Do you think it’d be better moving the Active Text to the same position as the buttons?

like how the speed and health ones are?

I think active text would look nice, aside from that I love the UI layout overall.

Yea the way the speed potion is is good. That way its more consistent and you also don’t have a big empty space underneath the name of the potion.

Just moved them over to the right side, and will probs add some sort of description underneath the title, might change the titles to just say ‘Damage’ ‘Exp’ etc. and have the desc say what each thing does

Ah yes, I forgot about the description. You should definitely have it and make sure to mention that the potion only lasts for x amount of time. That way players will be aware that it’s not permanent and won’t be hit with a surprise after they buy it.

It looks really good! And with everyone’s suggestions, it’s lookin really nice. Maybe you can try adding a white outline around the potion bottles? They look a tad naked against the grey background. Very nice either way.

Kinda final result :smiley: Thanks everyone for the advice! :smiley:

Feel free to make anymore comments on what could be changed :smiley: still open to changes!! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s kinda hard to read the text. I’d recommend trying a black grey (53,53,53 is my go to black, it’s very pleasant on the eyes) for the background and a darker gray for the inner scrolling frame.

2 Likes

I think this should be a square because from my screen it just looks like a low-key irregular octagon

1 Like

I like the styling of the general GUI, but I fee like everything could be more centered, if you know what I mean. I don’t really like how the title and flavor text kind of malign with the white bar between them. It feels a bit too cramped for my taste