Pressing Alt + F4 does not quit Roblox

Before people pile on any more feedback here: The internal discussion on this has been reopened.

39 Likes

Awesome! I understand Roblox wants to drive more people into the app, but violating windows norms is not a great way to do that in my opinion.

Thereā€™s tons of other creative options. For example, Roblox could add tabs like chrome to the top of Robloxā€™s app, without taking up much more space. Or a variety of other UI designs.

Iā€™d also be fine with this update if there was a big ā€œdo not show againā€ checkbox.

32 Likes

Excuse me giga,but all you just did was hijack the X button for more players and kids to stay on your platform. This is horrible, but you just hijack the ALT + F4 key too?!?!
This is annoying and NEEDS TO BE CHANGED, or else i will quit roblox.
The feature left people complaning and you want kids and teens (and adultsā€¦) to force you to get on your desktop app. What is this behavior, roblox?! Just let us out of this windows UX nonsense! We need a feature to opt out of this. Roblox is now violating windows norms, and i dont like it, so i dont support people who break windows norms. We understand you want more people into the app, but it cant be done like this.

6 Likes

I mean, the weirder thing is itā€™s actually happening mostly for people who already have the app. But instead of asking about unsaved work, theyā€™re repetitively advertising your ability to go to other games without closing the app, which is a good feature but they display the prompt even if youā€™ve ā€œexplored more Robloxā€ through the app for the past three weeks (or months)!

4 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that. Iā€™ll chime in that I expect ALT+F4 to close any program I press it on, as immediately as is reasonable, every time.

I get that the ā€œXā€ button may be a design choice - someone may press the X during a game without realizing it will close the entire Roblox app. Especially with the transition from website navigation to app navigation, itā€™s a concern that I understand.

The optimal solution for me would be a setting in the client that lets me toggle the behavior for the ā€œXā€ button, maybe with a link from the confirmation window to that setting for users that want to change it. Thirty seconds for a mockup to show what I mean:

(the hyperlink leads to a Settings page, where confirm-on-close is on by default)

But, again, ALT+F4 should ignore this setting. It should never ask if the user is sure. They pressed the ā€œkill programā€ command - theyā€™re sure. I sometimes exit other applications by accident, but they donā€™t always ask me to confirm. Itā€™s not a common enough problem to justify the extra step involved in closing the program.

Iā€™m probably not going to quit Roblox if this isnā€™t changed, but it runs counter to the way I expect Windows applications to behave.

13 Likes

Another thing that does not make sense: When the disconnected screen appears for any reason, if you click the close button instead of the ā€œleaveā€ button, the ā€œexplore moreā€ prompt still appears but itā€™s blurred and not readable because itā€™s behind the disconnected window. You should not have to click close on any Windows application only for something else to pop up that you canā€™t even read or click on; if you did, Iā€™m pretty sure you would normally think you got a virus.

3 Likes

This likely deserves itā€™s own bug report and is likely related to the fact that the Core GUI blur object blurs everything except for the disconnected prompt.

4 Likes

I would prefer to be disconnected and not have blur in the way, much like the old, red design. Though I also like the buttons.

This would specifically be for custom messages/dialog boxes when the user is disconnected, instead of Robloxā€™s. Iā€™m not sure why this isnā€™t implemented already, but it would be a great feature.

2 Likes

I actually came across some bug in a game (The Labyrinth, to be specific) where if you view someoneā€™s avatar off the player list, the entire app becomes unresponsive and freezes up. Before the update with the close confirmation, if I tried to replicate the bug, it still happened but I was able to close Roblox with Task Manager.

Closing the tab is impossible with the prompt coming up. For some reason I was unable to Alt + F4 out or use Task Manager to force close it. It acts like an admin password prompt; you canā€™t do anything until you enter it/interact with the password box itself, and of course I canā€™t when said app/in this case, Roblox, is frozen.

I canā€™t describe it in terms you probably wish I could but itā€™s just something thatā€™s happened 100% of the time for me. My apologies

I really wish to know why this prompt is intended behaviorā€¦

3 Likes

That button actually used to be there. There was a checkbox that said ā€œDonā€™t see this againā€ and it was removed in the second beta.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed this too, itā€™s really annoying.

2 Likes

I just tried one of the event pages if I clicked home.
Itā€™s giving some strange error saying a program isnā€™t installed.

The worst part about this is that it somehow shows this popup even if you try to close it with the task manager:

(cartoony sounds to really set the mood of how everybody sees this)

If this is intentional, then Roblox does have some very weird intentions

14 Likes

I believe this is intended. Happens to me when I click the X on Windows 10

At least give me the option to never see that menu again.

15 Likes

Itā€™s a bit bothersome that it does not line up to the same UX expectations as pretty much every other software when hitting ALT + F4

6 Likes

Really bad UX design. I donā€™t press Alt+F4 to be prompted with anything, I do it when Iā€™m trying to close the window. If this is meant to help people who are new to PC not close the client by mistake, fair enough, but like @MrChickenRocket said, we should at least be able to click a ā€˜Never Show This Againā€™ option. Nobody appreciates this change.

10 Likes

Iā€™m unbothered by being promoted when pressing the X button but Alt + F4 should always immediately kill the program, not have an annoying popup marketing/growth begged for in spite of UX.

1 Like

Itā€™s very hard to accidentally press ALT + F4, and ALT + F4 pranking is something that you will only fall for once.

1 Like

But itā€™s easy to accidentally click the X button (when opening the three dots menu)