Previous Username was taken by newly registered user

My old account, SmhAdds used to have the name as UP_77 but I changed it to SmhAdds, I recently went back onto my SmhAdds account and realised that UP_77 no longer appears on my past usernames list and that there has been an inactive user who has taken my old account username. Personally I find this quite disappointing as I looked at my friends profiles and noticed they still have their own ‘past usernames’ section… If there is anyway I could not get this account to use my old username that would be appreciated, as I am know in a lot of community’s as UP_77 and I don’t want this account to ruin my reputation, inactive or not it could still have something related to me.

It’s been created in december 2019 it seems but I am just really upset by this, knowing someone has my old username without even letting me know or giving me a choice that this was going to happen.

The account which used my old username:

My alt account which the username used to be on:

Proof of the transaction, and as you can see no past usernames are on my profile.

I would really like a response from someone who really knows the answer, a Roblox Staff member maybe…
Sorry it’s not in the format but it’s because this has nothing todo with development.
Just very disappointed I didn’t get notified about this or even get the option to remove the username from my profile and let other users have access to creating accounts with it.

8 Likes

Please, do not ask people to email bugs to customer support. The Developer Forum is the place to report these issues. This category is specifically for bug reports.

8 Likes

Does anyone know how I could get the account taken down or anything? I’ve been getting some messages from a few friends saying this account has been impersonating as me and are saying I ‘changed my name back’ on an old group I worked at. No proof of that has been given though, personally don’t believe it myself and I don’t have time to watch the account. But if there is a way I could claim my name back as the account seems to be inactive that would be great. I want people to know that I am still UP_77 but just with a name change. And for people I have not seen for a long time this can be a big pain. So far this topic is just useless as no staff members or anything have explained to me what has going on.

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed this internally and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

5 Likes

I apologise if I notified anyone for an old topic but this is basically a complete waste of my robux. I wouldn’t of changed my username if I knew it will go to waste so another user can take it.
I’m slightly annoyed how I have got absolutely no updates on this as the UP_77 user is a complete dead account when it was originally my username before I changed it? Now places which have my old name credited will go to this account which is inactive and not my main.

I might as well move platforms soon, because of the amount of issues on this platform.
Thanks, Adam.

The bug has been filed already, see above, it’s likely just not prioritized since it seems the impact is pretty low (you are the only one reporting this).

Did you reach out to customer support separately for a refund/rollback? It is probably faster than waiting for engineers to fix the issue. (However, if you didn’t contact CS, it might be too late now since this is 4 months after the fact)

2 Likes

I have not, I took it straight to developer forum then waited for updates. And if I rollback my account to 2018 wouldn’t that mean I lose many many stuff, but if so would I get a refund for the other things I purchased also?

1 Like

Don’t ask Thomas, he isn’t staff. He’s just giving you pointers on what would be the most efficient way of you getting assisted. If you contact customer support they’ll explain what would happen from there. Hope you get your name back, sorry that this fustrating thing had to happen to you.

“it’s likely just not prioritized”

Impersonation of users to this level should definitely be prioritized. What if someone somehow manages to get, say “Siromaru” (konekokittens original username) or one of flamingos many past usernames? Whoever holds one of those account names could potentially impersonate a big name youtuber, likely for evil purposes.

On top of this, the fact someone managed to claim a name which was (as far as the sign up page is concerned) already taken should be scary enough. If someone can claim a past username which is considered already in use, could people claim usernames that are actually still in use?

Side note, the username “kfc” was originally taken many years ago (either namesniping because of the fact it’s a 3 letter named after a popular fast food chain, or even taken in the big wave when someone botted all 3 letter names) yet somehow got re-made in late 2020, despite the fact it would have been reasonably taken before then, so this isn’t the first time a taken name has been re-taken.

3 Likes

Totally agreed, all the way. Personally wouldn’t of bought a name change either if I was aware something like this would happen, if it is supposed to happen (which I highly doubt) then a notice would’ve been nice.

And as said previously, impersonation was going on but now it has became a dead inactive account but I’d prefer my user having that past usernames tag once again to prove that I was really UP_77.

If you are saying you know of this happening more widely (so it is not a one-off / user error) you should add the cases you know of to this topic so engineers have more leads to investigate.

2 Likes

Actually quite recently one of my friends got their account broken into due to a user being able to sign up with their CURRENT username. There clearly is a security flaw in the username system when signing up with a new account, occasionally being able to use already used names or previous names of others.
This should be addressed and its a shame that with roblox going public soon , that such security flaws are unfixed.

3 Likes