Privacy and Security of Roblox plugins

Is there any way to obfuscate or even use close source code with Roblox Plugins??? I would like to build a full scale ready made game engine for Roblox and would like to sell it as a plug-in but I’m concerned about someone just paying for it and then releasing all the code for free or at a reduced price as if it were their own.
What are my options?
Would it be possible to use web based API for core functionality?
How would this affect efficiency of code? Particularly running complex calculations during runtime through a webhook?

The best option seems like it would be to wait until roblox starts making it easier to sell plugins in the tooblox.

You could however create a web program that required you to have a personal key, created when you sign up, that is required to use the program. This would be linked to your roblox account so that others could not use your key.

This probably wouldn’t take too much computing power or resources to incorporate, since you would just have to use HTTPService to verify once when the plugin is initiate.

However, this would be a pain to set up, all for a plugin. I would personally just try and get into roblox’s plugin creator program once it becomes more open to new developers, but it does seem doable through other means if you don’t want to go that route.

1 Like

That actually seems like a good idea, but I would be somewhat concerned about whether or not that violates Roblox ToS…
At the same time that doesn’t solve the main issue in that, once the user has the code, it could still easily be re-uploaded by the user. Even with a personal key, without embedding it into each primary function it would be easy to remove by a user and even embedded into all the core functionality, it would not be impossible. Unless I somehow verified the integrity of the code through a web hook again which I suppose would not be hard. Then there are the technical limitations. I believe there are limitations set by Roblox as to how many HTTP requests can be made over a given period of time by the roblox server and even at the same time, this verification would need to be embedded yet again into the engine or the engine must rely entirely on it for runtime operations.
Thoughts?

1 Like

If I went this route, would creating a Roblox game server just for purchasing a Product Key be a violation of the ToS? I would then at least not need to direct developers to an external website which is my primary concern here.

I am not 100% certain, but I believe this would be OK in terms of TOS. I have seen other people do similar things in the past.

The only that might be againts roblox’s TOS is still sending users to an external site to get the key. If you linked the site from a dev forum post, and then linked that forum post to your plugin you might be able to do it.

However, I am not going to say for sure that roblox would allow this. Can anyone elses confirm that this is allowed by TOS regulations?

1 Like