Problem with monetizing with the chicken and the egg scenario

Hi! Not sure if this is the right category, but I need help. I have a game, which I’d like to begin monetizing, but I have a problem.

1. What do you want to achieve? I would like to keep a stable player and staff count in my game, without losing players or staff due to a lack of the other.

2. What is the issue? My game requires staff members from my roblox group to run it, as they are required for players to be able to experience the full game. The main area of the game is locked, and can only be locked/unlocked by a staff member. This game is a roleplay/horror/adventure/survival game, and it has created a chicken and the egg scenario. Staff are needed for the game to be fun and attract new players, and players are needed to attract new staff. To clarify, the game is a TSO style game. Cursed players attack others at night, and it is the staff member’s jobs to make sure they are in the correct area, to protect players, and to host events. I appreciate any help on this. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong category, and thanks for your answers!!!

3. What solutions have you thought of so far? None. I have decided its best to consult the community and get some ideas/feedback before wasting robux or anything else used for monetizing before monetizing.

Thanks for any and all help. Have an AMAZING day!

1 Like

While you start up you could let anyone be staff

If you have real human players hosting all the events, and making sure everyone’s in the right area and not getting harmed, then what will the players do when no staff are in the server?

The solution is simple: Don’t have human staff members. Instead, script events and make it so players automatically stay in their area or make things not deal damage if you want them to be more protected. Make it so events happen every 30 minutes or something in a server. And since the game is an adventure/survival game, why keep the players in one spot? Let them roam free and explore!

2 Likes

Well, staff have the power to ragdoll players and carry them, so there’s a simple resume process to avoid abuse.

Players do not stay in one spot, but they stay in a large, open area. The village. Players participate in activities hosted by staff, such as games and storytelling and such, where they can win awards and have fun. Staff are human, because part of the point is that they can interact with the players and not have fixed events hosted. Part of the fun is also having infected players able to murder the staff, so there is never a sense of true safety or order. When staff aren’t there, all players can do is wait. But, there still are areas to explore as the game is open world. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate any and all support and ideas!

1 Like

Instead of assigning people as “staff” rank permanently in the community, what if you assigned random players (or first players to join a server) to a team in the game? Staff members would be on the “leader” team (call it Kings, Rulers, Overlords, whatever would suit your game’s theme), and non staff members would be on the “citizen” team (Civilians, Folk, Peasants, whatever you want). Cursed players, the ones who attack the staff and everyone else, could be in the “Evil” team, or whatever you’d like to name it. You wouldn’t assign these roles permanently in the community, but instead you could assign them in a few ways:

• Automatically assign players to teams as they join.

• Assign players to teams based on their actions (i.e. if a player touches a crown, they become staff, or if they attack someone, they become evil).

• Both of these options. Automatically assign players to staff wen they join, and make players go into the evil team if they attack someone.

If you do this, you could encourage players to invite their friends so they can have fun with other people, which may bring in players, while getting temporary staff members for the server.

2 Likes

This is a great idea, but staff hold lots of power and need to be trusted. These are groups of people (not grouped as teams and not visible to the players):

Villagers Villagers are players who survive the night and have fun during the day. They all require food like any other player, and have health and stamina. Every player except for staff members start out as one of these.

Staff Staff are vital to the game. You must pass a resume to get accepted, or pay. Staff host events in the event house or take players on a walk. We need these, because they help new players and make sure all players are in the main village during the night, and throw players in who aren’t. These players are very important and can abuse, so they must be trusted.

Infected Players Infected players are players who have been infected. During the day, they’re normal. During the night, they kill staff and other players. It takes time to become an infected player.

I hope you understand this a bit more now. Unfortunately, I can’t really use your idea because staff members need to be trusted and trained. Thanks for your help so far!!! I appreciate it!!!

Seems like you can simply replace staff with a tutorial and scripts that prevent users from being outside of the village at night? Not sure why you need manual intervention for this.

1 Like

Because of free will. If the players are forced to stay inside the housing section’s walls, that would be boring. They should have the choice of:

Staying in the village, risking their lives in the most crowded area at night but having a chance to hide,
or hiding outside the housing area’s walls, with a less chance of dying but a chance of getting caught and being thrown into the area with no time to hide.

Also, I want players to figure out the game on their own, as the game is very straight forward. Thanks for feedback!

Use a npc that wonders around to try to catch any one who goes a radius of it

Won’t work. I explain why above!

They wouldn’t be forced though as they could escape the npc

Not possible due to server-client latency, anyways. Plus, events woldn’t be custom and they wouldn’t interact with players.

If you can keep people in your game you could just spend more robux on advertising in a short period

The minimum advertising window time length is 24 hours.

That would be fine if people stay in your game and you have a large enough budget. You could also be a staff for a few hours so people can do stuff

Yeah, but to retain a player count I’d need at least 1 staff member working 24/7

You could see who can be trusted when you are on and get your friends or family to help

I don’t have much family or friends, but there’s a resume process.

There is a resume process for what?