Problems regarding importing terrain & rotation

Hello,

I am ToastMage, Group Owner/Project Manager. I currently manage 3 of the few remaining active “serious RP” SCP-related Groups on ROBLOX, and maintain 1 very old “game”.

We experienced issues with developers stealing, leaking, etc our assets in the past and so made the decision before we began the project to make developer build/do terrain in different experiences as to reduce the likelihood of leaking the full experience being possible. This is unfortunately due to toxic culture within the SCPF Genre on ROBLOX, and ROBLOX’s lacklustre DMCA policies.

We made the decision in a meeting recently to finally combine all the different building games however, we are experiencing an issue when it comes to terrain in the ROBLOX Studio Engine. We can import the terrain at a custom spot, but we cannot import it on a custom rotation axis which means we cannot properly combine our different building games together into one experience.

We have tried 6 different plugins (such as TerrainRegion Importer), and each plugin seemed to have the same issue - that being no way to orientate the terrain. So i am reaching out to the wider ROBLOX community itself for possible solutions (or potentially ROBLOX themselves if they see this).

Is there any possible solution to this? or will I have to reach out to ROBLOX / post in their feature request section of the forum?

1 Like

Do you think this would help?

According to my developers importing it to blender, rotating and then exporting to studio “will mess up stuff and wont help with anything… it will import the terrain untextured and us unable to modify it”

Thanks for at least trying to give a solution though.

1 Like

Just thought i’d give an update to this thread in case anyone else encounters this issue in the future. Via trial and error over a number of hours we got a rough solution. To rotate the terrain we had to:

1. Select the place1/map1.
  1. Select the terrain & import it to the desired other map2 using “Large-Scale Region Tool” plugin. Do make a marker somewhere for the entrance onto the actual terrain, an X. Move the terrain and see if it fits with the orietation. If it doesn’t fit, you need to rotate it till you see the desired degrees then you go back to the map1.

If it doesn’t fit:

1. Back in map1, change the orientation with roblox’s own transform tools.
  2. Import to new map using “Large-Scale Region Tool”, move the terrain.
  3. Use the same plugin to import to new place & move props.

Alternatively, if it does fit:

1. If it does fit, use “TerrainRegion Importer” plugin. You will need to create a part which covers the entire map, then tick selection box within the plugin window and press clone.
  2. Make the entire map a model, then select the part and Model and make another model out of them.
  3. Drag that said new model to map2 and then import the terrain by selecting Part’s terrain then the actual part. In the plugin window you will need to press insert and tada.

Its a bit tedious but it’s better than nothing.

Do have a backup of the rbxl before pressing insert so that you can still change the position of the map where you want to import it. It might take a few tries before making it 100% fit.

1 Like