Problems with implementing multi-car trains on node based railway track system

Hello everyone,

I’ve decided to migrate my railway from the bodyvelocity system to a node-based system. This is what Jailbreak and Stepford County Railway seem to use with much greater reliability (the bodyvelocity system keeps resulting in derailments).

We can get a single car train running on a curved track with no problems (using the method described by EchoReaper) - many thanks!.

However, the major roadblock we’re facing is implementing multi-car trains with longer carriages. So far we’ve done this by setting the c-frame of the first bogie and tweening it, whilst subsequent bogies are dragged along by using RodConstraint. (see video - apologies for low quality). Note that each red part represents a bogie, and each carriage has two bogies. The longer rods are equivalent to the distance between the two bogies for one carriage whilst the shorter rods connect the carriages together. The video shows the setup we’ve tried for a 3 carriage train.
gif_of_problem
(still image of the bogie and rod setup - the green part is where the part being tweened is)

However this is far from good because we want the following bogies to follow the track as well. Any suggestions on how to do this? So far we have tried: Using individual tweening for each individual bogie, but this causes the distance between the parts to change - which will cause problems when we weld the train body to the parts here. We’ve also tried setting a part at the middle of each carriage to be tweened, which doesn’t solve the multi-carriage issue, and means that the bogies aren’t centred on the track properly.

(also, something which might be relevant is that the trains are driverless (with 10+ trains running at one time) so the scripts have to be server side - which may cause some issues with latency but it worked fine under the bodyvelocity system - we’re not sure how this may change under the node-based system)

Many thanks everyone for your help!

2 Likes

You want them to be in the middle all the time?

To clarify, yes. I want the red parts (each representing one bogie on the train) to follow the grey parts (the nodes in the node-based system). Ideally, I just need to tween one part on the train and the rest will somehow follow, but I’m open to different ideas on how to keep a multi-carriage train together. (I know some other solutions posted set each carriage as an independent tween but this doesn’t keep the carriages together as you’d expect on a train.

1 Like