Problems with layered clothing (UV mainly)

Hello, I’m trying to make layered clothing for my in-game characters. But, as usual, I got a lot of problems.
While in release of this feature everything seems easy and fast, I got confused with UV part. Let’s take screenshot example with twisted cube:

(Example image from release topic)

Here you can see that this cube have 6 sides on UVmap, which are split by some requirements. But, after a lot of time spent realizing how this even works, I don’t understood much. Then, I looked on some example FBX meshes, which gave me more information, but I still have left some questions.

(Example image from FBX-file included in topic)

1. How this islands of UV’s should be placed? Does clothing and rig’s inner/outer cages should be ABSOLUTELY identical to each other? What I need to do if clothing and rig cages have diffirent vertices?

2. Is it necessary to place UV coordinates in “Square grid”, and should it have offsets, or I may remove them if I’ll need?
(Grid question example)

3. Is there any “easier” way to make UV-map gridified like this, or only way I can achieve this is by manual editing?

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

The Square Grid is generally the localized place for mesh’s texture.
Throwing the model’s parts outside of that box will usually lead to things such as;

• Texture Stretching,
  • Texture Repetition,
  • Texture Clipping or Cutoff,
  • Visual Artifacts

I’d suggest just simple enough selecting all of the dots and pressing S and it will resize them by the center, afterwards by pressing G you can move them to fit inside of that square grid.

Thanks for answer, but, as I know, layered clothing’s cages don’t use any textures, and their UV used to somehow define that something is above something.