Problems with rigged model

Hello. I am trying to use a blender model as my in-game character for a project. I can import it just fine. It looks as intended and has the bones I want it to have.

The problem is, how would I get this to work for a playable character? It is acting as if it doesn’t have the required parts for a character (head, arms legs torso) when I named the bones such. All I can do is heavily slide around the environment.

Hello, @shipleydog2!

For the character to work, there are three essential components: HumanoidRootPart, Head and a Humanoid. While a humanoid isn’t actually a part and is just an invisible child of the character, the other two must be actual parts and must be named precisely. If your character doesn’t have a rootpart, I suggest you to place an invisible block directly in the center of it and naming it such.

Bone names don’t play an important role when it comes to rigging, it just makes the character more organized and makes animating them easier.

If your goal is that players spawn with this character, you must name it StarterCharacter and place it in the StarterPlayer folder. Not in any of the subfolders, but just this one. If you wish to hide the name StarterCharacter, set the Humanoid’s DisplayDistanceType property to none.

Another thing you mustn’t forget is to unanchor every part inside the character and use welds to keep them together.

If you wish to make walking animations, you must firstly animate the character, then write the script that plays the animation, such as playing on Humanoid.Running.

3 Likes

So to connect the rootpart and head would I just, say, rigedit and attatch them both to the mesh of the character?

1 Like
2 Likes

I highly recommend you to watch this video by GnomeCode: CUSTOM CHARACTERS - How to create, rig and animate - YouTube.

It explains the entire process of rigging and animating a custom character.