Problems with the Negate tool

For some reason, when I used the negate tool it created this weird invisible barrier. I do not know what it is caused by, and how to fix it. If anyone can help me that would be great!

Video of issue: https://gyazo.com/18719ac224e4d6438e59a0e139a23f04

7 Likes

Did you check to see if there was a transparent part in the way, or that the part that you used to negate it went through completely to the other side?

3 Likes

I did put it completely through the other side.

1 Like

This seems to be a common issue with the union tools. I have this almost every time I use it, and I’ve resorted to just building around instead of negating then unioning. If roblox could give us an exact reason on why this occurs, that would be great!

4 Likes

This glitch happens a lot. I don’t know how to fix it, but I think you should try turning CanCollide to false.

2 Likes

The negate tool doesn’t remove collisions in the area you negated.

This isn’t a glitch - its for optimization. It would take a lot of calculation to check if you are colliding with every single part of the union.

5 Likes

The issue is how large the union is and how it doesnt calculate the collisions correctly if I’m right. For these kinds of shapes anyway its best to just make an opening with bricks instead of negating a doorway; it’s not only because of this issue but because of optimization.

3 Likes

Redo the union operation. and possibly make the negated part longer.

2 Likes

I did that, and I still have the same problem.

It seems like the only fix for right now is to just put a gap and build with pieces. I’ve had this issue as well (but only sometimes?) and I’m not sure what causes it. Could be totally off base, but I’m curious to see if it would work with just 1 solid brick (e.g. the yellow wall) instead of with the added brick layer around the bottom.

Alternatively, you could also build it out and then union the pieces together if you really wanted a solid union wall.

1 Like

This happeneds alot with unions and meshes in my case. The best way I have got around this is to use the plugin “Show Decomposition Geometry” this will show what’s blocking the door. When you found this you can change the brick layout within settings. If this is one single union that has a negative brick though it then I can’t see why there is a problem.

I suggest doing this too.

Mustbe30.

I honestly have never had this problem. I just made a doorway union to confirm. Have you tried making the union again? If so, then @oneandonlyralph probably has the best idea.

I used to have this with csg v1 years ago. Try to extend your negative part beyond what you’re negating.

This constantly happens to me as well. These steps might work as a fix:

1. Turn collisions off for the part you’re going to negate
  2. Negate it
  3. Union.

Its not a glitch
its a intended bug/feature.
It seems theres a polygon in that doorway.
Try re-doing the union
Or adding artificial collisions by making the door way non-col and adding invisible bricks

1 Like

Negating parts usually does stuff like this. I would suggest (for this problem, at least.) not using unions, seeing as that is a very small door, just duplicate the parts and resize to a hole, either that or you can use the block cutter plugin, I find it very handy for stuff like this.

If you need it to be unioned, and can’t tell where the collisions are, turn on “Show Decomposition Geometry” in studio settings Pretty sure that’s what it’s called.

Here’s the plugin: https://www.roblox.com/library/143152131/Brick-Cutter

1 Like

oh this is a simple fix, roblox added something a few months ago to help with this.
Unions can create issues with collision (half of its invisible)
Just change its CollisionFidelity to that and it should work fine [only change unions that have issues like your doorway to this, having many unions on this setting can cause a bit of lag]
If this doesnt help then idk, maybe dont union and just make more parts

7 Likes