Procedural World Generation! Let me Know What You Think!

I recently started working on Procedural World Generation because I felt really burnt out after working on another game for 3 months. I wanted to take a break for a week and code something else. This is what I came up with in about 2 days. Its sorta early into its development but I quite like how its turning out. I’ve been working hard on making it as fast as possible. Its almost 3x faster than the world generator that is built into Roblox Studio. (Although mine isn’t generating caves and such).

It has advanced placement detection so parts wont overlap, as well as parts will not be placed over water. Sand automatically gets generated where water is nearby or touching. 2 maps will almost never be the same.

Heres the latest version of it generating some plains with some varying tree types.

It can also generate different types of terrain. Heres some islands.

Aswell as generate mountainous terrain. Mountains are a WIP.

Small maps - 256 studs: Around .4 to .6 seconds to generate
Medium maps - 512 studs: Around 1.1 to 1.5 seconds to generate
Large maps - 1024 studs: Around 2 to 3 seconds to generate

Some may be wondering why would you create this if Roblox Studio has one. Well you can use this during gameplay. So if someone is playing a sorta “God” game where they create and control the world, this would come in handy. Or if there was a open world space game, they could generate the planets terrain on the fly.

Let me know what you think! All feedback will be helpful!

20 Likes

This one seems to run much faster than the Roblox Studio one, and this can generate vegetation and the terrain dosent have random rocks and stuff in it.

1 Like

Take a look at the code and you’ll be surprised about the complexity of the generator. I certainly can’t figure it out lol
Procedural Generation has alluded me for a long time.

2 Likes

This could change roblox terrain as we know it!
Hope to see cool updates in the future.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

1 Like

I gotta say, I’m absolutely LOVING that UI. It’s so pretty and descriptive, why can’t we have more things with a brief explanation to the side!?

1 Like

This is a great concept, and I think you should keep developing on it. It looks like it generates pretty quickly and looks good once generated. Perhaps even adding a compatible placement system would be awesome, such as placing fences, flowers, or buildings.

One thing I wonder is if you could apply this to a private world for a game (ex: an in-game map designer). The owner of the world could generate a plate to use as a playing field for their map design. Idk, this second point sounds really cool in theory but I’m unsure if it’s even possible with the way Studio works.

1 Like

That would be something I could do in the future. I really think Roblox should make there API for terrain more public so you can use the terrain tools outside of studio.

2 Likes

Might be because of the space below it being hollow. I believe that the terrain the default generator creates is better for the memory because of how it is saved. Long lines of the same material will be encoded as a line of X distance, instead of saving each voxel individually. This solution will be very inefficient for large maps.