Procedurally Animated Spider

Hello. I am trying to make a Procedurally-Animated spider but I’ve never done something like this and don’t know how to start. I don’t know how to connect the legs. Should I use ball in socket constraints or ropes, springs, etc…?
Thanks.

1 Like

Well I think you should first make the model in blender, rig it, enable inverse kinematics (if you want), animate it and then export it to Roblox Studio.

That’s not what they mean by “procedurally animated” - they basically want to calculate where the legs of the spider should go in real-time, not through a pre-determined animation.

I want to do exactly what you said, but don’t know where to start or how to join the legs.

This video doesn’t really explain much, but it’s still useful nonetheless IMO.

As Sebastian said, it pretty much works by forcing the legs to move once they are too far away from their resting position.
A much better, and also very fast tutorial would be Unity procedural animation tutorial (10 steps) - YouTube.
For step 1, you can just use this module: Inverse Kinematics Module - Easy Solver

3 Likes

Thanks. Does this work with a spider that has 4 legs and does not contain a humanoid object?

There shouldn’t be any problems with that.

1 Like

I used a different module but achieved exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

No problem. Out of curiosity, and also in-case someone else sees this thread, what module did you use?

1 Like

I forgot it :smiley: , give me a sec i’ll search it up.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/2-joint-2-limb-inverse-kinematics/252399

This is what i used.

1 Like

I have one problem. When I unanchor the body, it would start sliding all over the place as if the legs pulled it somewhere. Do you have any idea how I could fix that or why is it happening?

1 Like

It’s most likely because of your hip height